Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have a 1998 9.9 2 stroke tiller manual start mercury

I have a 1998 9.9...
I have a 1998 9.9 2 stroke tiller manual start mercury outboard. For years it gave me no problems. I pull the choke plunger out 3 times and start it right away. It runs about 30 seconds , then dies and will not start again until multiple ( lots ) of pulls. Once running it is very smooth. Your comments would be appreciated as I have taken it to 2 certified mercury dealers and have spent about $500 over past 3 years.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: No.
11/20/2017
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Could I get the engine serial number please?

Has the engine been sitting unused for awhile?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Serial #0G630263. Have engine winterized by dealer in March. Starts easily again in 9 months but dies after starting throughout winter season. Always seems to start immediately, but then dies and is almost impossible to start thereafter.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I do not want to talk by phone. Just email me.

This is due to carburetor issue. The engine is getting to much fuel or not enough fuel. Clogged jets in the idle circuit can cause fuel starvation during start up or the inlet needle is sticking op[en causing the engine to flood.

Squeeze the fuel primer bulb does it get hard or can you continue to pump it before starting engine?

If bulb gets hard and stays hard then try choking the engine when it starts to die. Will it continue to run?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Have not tried the squeeze bulb procedure, but leave choke pulled out ( if I push it in it dies immediately ) . Also I have had dealer try to fix idle increase which is done by turning choke clockwise. Kind of spuders and rpm does not really increase , then dies.

Just having to keep the choke out to keep engine running is a dirty carburetor. Remove the carb, disassemble, clean and install a carb kit will resolve the issue.

Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Tan
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician