Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

94 venom 200 I lost all fire so I changed power pack now

Customer Question
94 johnson venom 200...
94 johnson venom 200 I lost all fire so I changed power pack now motor runs but does not plan out motor runs real bad if i unplug white and black strip wire it runs a lol better what could be any suggestions
Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Boat
11/20/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 24 days ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hi Steven, my name is***** read what you wrote. Is there a story or history to this engine, have you ever personally seen this engine run correctly? How old is the fuel itself? Do you have a compression gauge and a timing light in order to check for engine compression and proper spark output?

Are you here?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
it's like this I been using it every weekend for Las six months used one weekend ran good next weekend it would not start checked fire no fire on all cylinders so I changed power pack it runs roughly I got fire on all cylinders but runs rough no take off so I tried unplug white with black strip wire and it runs better. it not perfect

Got it. Do you have a compression gauge and a timing light in order to check for engine compression and proper spark output?

Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 23 days ago

Okay start by checking the engine compression and see what you get for numbers. After that, start the engine up, hook up the timing light to each plug wire one at a time and see if the timing light shows flash on all 6 cylinders or not.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I have 125 on all and I have fire on every one I hook a plug up and held it away about half inch and it shot blueish fire
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Are you there

Good morning. I do apologize for the delay. I am on east coast time and we are probably on different time zones. When you checked for spark did you hook up your timing light to the plug wires like I described or are you j ust grounding the plugs out to the engine block?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I couldn't get timing light so I grounded on block all six fired

That's not going to be the correct way to check it. If the engine has weak spark, the plugs will show spark when you ground them out to the engine block, but they either won't actually fire or they will fire intermittently when screwed back into the heads. Check them again once you find your timing light and we will go from there.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
ok I got timing light
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
what I need to do?
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I started motor and I hooked timing light to each one and they all had fire
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
sorry I checked again and #6 no spark with light but does when grounding spark plug
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 22 days ago

Okay on #6 install a new plug and see if spark returns. If it does not return, swap the #6 igniton coil for a different coil that is firing and see if the lack of spark follows the coil or stays on the same cylinder.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
ok I got all cylinders to light up with timing light when it's running a min the 2,4,6 look like not firing as good sometimes not if i unplug white with black strip wire it runs better
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 21 days ago

Where is this white/black wire? Where is it going to?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
power pack
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
it goes to top off head where wire goes for temperature

The wires that go to the temperature sensors should be tan. Are yours black with a white stripe?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
on left side the white and black strip wire goes in with temp wires

That's odd... it's supposed to be tan. Either way. Spark returns when that wire is disconnected from the temp sensor, correct?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
it gets better

Okay if that's the case then the engine has a bad temperature sensor, activating prematurely and sending the engine into power reduction mode. Replacing that temp sensor will take care of the issue for you. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 20 days ago

It looks like you read my answer and left without selecting a rating for my service, responding back, or simply taking a minute to thank me. Was there something else?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
sorry bout that I checked stator and it only had 97 volts on each side
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I checked trigger and no response on meter when checked ohms it went to 221
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Are you there

I ​don't understand what you are doing with the stator. Did you get spark back to all 6 cylinders or not when you disconnected the temp sensor wire?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
ok when I undo the thermostat the motor run pretty good.if I plug it back in when it's running it kills the motor so I'm going down to pick one up now to try it and I'll get back with u after I try it

Okay keep me posted.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I tried changing that part but it still don't work
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 18 days ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello. My name is Tan.

Try grounding the white/black from the power pack. Does engine run better?

How are you testing voltage output of the stator and timer base?

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
tried that didn't help
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
multi meter

How are you testing voltage output of the stator and timer base? Are you using a peak reading volt meter?

The reason I ask the reading you are getting from the stator are to weak. The spec is 150-400 peak volts.

Here is the Peak reading voltmeter. http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=ESP530&source=froogle&kw=ESP530&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6enQBRDUARIsAGs1YQgtQ2BhRprAiaPkl-Fa9cO_0n2jAxMROtYr_CCUe77A8IdWGE_Jh3EaAgnjEALw_wcB

The other option is an adapter for your multimeter. http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=ESP640&source=froogle&kw=ESP640&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6enQBRDUARIsAGs1YQiPmvAAw95GtDvG6oIlilR_egll8F6O2qoPgtr5k2B6vgEb6bVyk60aAlmjEALw_wcB

Either of these will work for testing output of the stator and the timer base. You should have a reading of 150-400 volts on stator and 100-400 peak volts on the timer base.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I was getting about 120 peak would a week stator cause it to lost fire on one side

Absolutely. The minimum is 150 peak volts. It will produce spark but will be weak and very intermittent below 150. Once under a load, it will completely loose spark.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
think it's stator

Yes since your reading is below spec.

The temp switch you have been messing with is for the quickstart. When the engine is cold the switch changes the timing for easier starts and once the engine warms up the switch turns off putting the timing back for normal operation. The switch if it is bad will keep timing out of adjustment and engine will not perform correctly. Now you have eliminated the switch the only other thing that can cause the switch to activate is an engine that is running to cool due to bad thermostats. Now since the switch is new we can eliminate a failing switch. Grounding the white/black bypasses the switch. So that leaves and spark issue. You have eliminated the power pack leaving the stator and timer base. Since you do have spark on all cylinders the timer base is good leaving a weak spark issue due to failing stator.

Does this all make sense?

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
sounds like it could be I know that the stator does have stuff melting down block .but don't it usely mess with tac or charging if it's stator

The stator has 2 charge coils and 1 set of windings for the charging system. The charge coils have nothing to do with the charging system. It's just that they are all incorporated into the stator as an assembly. So you can have an ignition issue and not a charging issue or visa versa bad charging and ok ignition. The tach is run off the charging system.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
ok I'm going to see about getting a stator

Ok. Here is a link to your ignition components.

You also want to check the magnets in the flywheel be sure they are all attached and intact.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1994&hp=200&model=J200STLERK&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Ignition+System+%26amp%3B+Starter+Motor

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
mags are all good I checked them

Ok, everything points to a weak stator.

Customer reply replied 4 days ago
ok I jus installed new stator went test and still no take off won't go over 2000 rpms
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 4 days ago

Hi Steven,

Do you have spark on all cylinders?

If you choke the engine does it run better?

If you squeeze the primer bulb does it run better?

Customer reply replied 4 days ago
no no
Customer reply replied 4 days ago
I couldn't check if one side would stop fire like it was before . today when I ran it on hose it sounded good til I got in water thats i could tell it was not right

We need to check the timing when at full throttle(2000rpms). What is the timing? Spec is 17-19 degrees BTDC.

We need to verify spark at full throttle on each cylinder with a timing light.

Customer reply replied 4 days ago
ok I jus noticed orange and orange /BLACK ON STATOR AND ON POWER PACK THEY BOTH ORANGE HOW DO I KNOW WITCH ONE GOES WHERE WHAT IF THEY ARE BACKWARDS WILL IT HURT

Those are the power supply for quick start.You have 2 orange wires one with a black stripe one with no stripe. Connect the orange/black to orange/black and orange to orange.

Customer reply replied 4 days ago
on my power pack it only has two orange no orange/black

Then it doesn't matter. Orange to orange.

Customer reply replied 3 days ago
couldn't get to launch to check timing ill have to get back with you
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 3 days ago

OK

Tan
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician