Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

94 venom 200 I lost all fire so I changed power pack now…

94 johnson venom 200...
94 johnson venom 200 I lost all fire so I changed power pack now motor runs but does not plan out motor runs real bad if i unplug white and black strip wire it runs a lol better what could be any suggestions
11/20/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hi Steven, my name is***** read what you wrote. Is there a story or history to this engine, have you ever personally seen this engine run correctly? How old is the fuel itself? Do you have a compression gauge and a timing light in order to check for engine compression and proper spark output?

Are you here?

it's like this I been using it every weekend for Las six months used one weekend ran good next weekend it would not start checked fire no fire on all cylinders so I changed power pack it runs roughly I got fire on all cylinders but runs rough no take off so I tried unplug white with black strip wire and it runs better. it not perfect

Got it. Do you have a compression gauge and a timing light in order to check for engine compression and proper spark output?

Okay start by checking the engine compression and see what you get for numbers. After that, start the engine up, hook up the timing light to each plug wire one at a time and see if the timing light shows flash on all 6 cylinders or not.

I have 125 on all and I have fire on every one I hook a plug up and held it away about half inch and it shot blueish fire
Are you there

Good morning. I do apologize for the delay. I am on east coast time and we are probably on different time zones. When you checked for spark did you hook up your timing light to the plug wires like I described or are you j ust grounding the plugs out to the engine block?

I couldn't get timing light so I grounded on block all six fired

That's not going to be the correct way to check it. If the engine has weak spark, the plugs will show spark when you ground them out to the engine block, but they either won't actually fire or they will fire intermittently when screwed back into the heads. Check them again once you find your timing light and we will go from there.

ok I got timing light
what I need to do?
I started motor and I hooked timing light to each one and they all had fire
sorry I checked again and #6 no spark with light but does when grounding spark plug

Okay on #6 install a new plug and see if spark returns. If it does not return, swap the #6 igniton coil for a different coil that is firing and see if the lack of spark follows the coil or stays on the same cylinder.

ok I got all cylinders to light up with timing light when it's running a min the 2,4,6 look like not firing as good sometimes not if i unplug white with black strip wire it runs better

Where is this white/black wire? Where is it going to?

power pack
it goes to top off head where wire goes for temperature

The wires that go to the temperature sensors should be tan. Are yours black with a white stripe?

on left side the white and black strip wire goes in with temp wires

That's odd... it's supposed to be tan. Either way. Spark returns when that wire is disconnected from the temp sensor, correct?

it gets better

Okay if that's the case then the engine has a bad temperature sensor, activating prematurely and sending the engine into power reduction mode. Replacing that temp sensor will take care of the issue for you. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

It looks like you read my answer and left without selecting a rating for my service, responding back, or simply taking a minute to thank me. Was there something else?

sorry bout that I checked stator and it only had 97 volts on each side
I checked trigger and no response on meter when checked ohms it went to 221
Are you there

I ​don't understand what you are doing with the stator. Did you get spark back to all 6 cylinders or not when you disconnected the temp sensor wire?

ok when I undo the thermostat the motor run pretty good.if I plug it back in when it's running it kills the motor so I'm going down to pick one up now to try it and I'll get back with u after I try it

Okay keep me posted.

I tried changing that part but it still don't work
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello. My name is Tan.

Try grounding the white/black from the power pack. Does engine run better?

How are you testing voltage output of the stator and timer base?

tried that didn't help
multi meter

How are you testing voltage output of the stator and timer base? Are you using a peak reading volt meter?

The reason I ask the reading you are getting from the stator are to weak. The spec is 150-400 peak volts.

Here is the Peak reading voltmeter. http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=ESP530&source=froogle&kw=ESP530&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6enQBRDUARIsAGs1YQgtQ2BhRprAiaPkl-Fa9cO_0n2jAxMROtYr_CCUe77A8IdWGE_Jh3EaAgnjEALw_wcB

The other option is an adapter for your multimeter. http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=ESP640&source=froogle&kw=ESP640&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6enQBRDUARIsAGs1YQiPmvAAw95GtDvG6oIlilR_egll8F6O2qoPgtr5k2B6vgEb6bVyk60aAlmjEALw_wcB

Either of these will work for testing output of the stator and the timer base. You should have a reading of 150-400 volts on stator and 100-400 peak volts on the timer base.

I was getting about 120 peak would a week stator cause it to lost fire on one side

Absolutely. The minimum is 150 peak volts. It will produce spark but will be weak and very intermittent below 150. Once under a load, it will completely loose spark.

think it's stator

Yes since your reading is below spec.

The temp switch you have been messing with is for the quickstart. When the engine is cold the switch changes the timing for easier starts and once the engine warms up the switch turns off putting the timing back for normal operation. The switch if it is bad will keep timing out of adjustment and engine will not perform correctly. Now you have eliminated the switch the only other thing that can cause the switch to activate is an engine that is running to cool due to bad thermostats. Now since the switch is new we can eliminate a failing switch. Grounding the white/black bypasses the switch. So that leaves and spark issue. You have eliminated the power pack leaving the stator and timer base. Since you do have spark on all cylinders the timer base is good leaving a weak spark issue due to failing stator.

Does this all make sense?

sounds like it could be I know that the stator does have stuff melting down block .but don't it usely mess with tac or charging if it's stator

The stator has 2 charge coils and 1 set of windings for the charging system. The charge coils have nothing to do with the charging system. It's just that they are all incorporated into the stator as an assembly. So you can have an ignition issue and not a charging issue or visa versa bad charging and ok ignition. The tach is run off the charging system.

ok I'm going to see about getting a stator

Ok. Here is a link to your ignition components.

You also want to check the magnets in the flywheel be sure they are all attached and intact.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1994&hp=200&model=J200STLERK&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Ignition+System+%26amp%3B+Starter+Motor

mags are all good I checked them

Ok, everything points to a weak stator.

ok I jus installed new stator went test and still no take off won't go over 2000 rpms

Hi Steven,

Do you have spark on all cylinders?

If you choke the engine does it run better?

If you squeeze the primer bulb does it run better?

no no
I couldn't check if one side would stop fire like it was before . today when I ran it on hose it sounded good til I got in water thats i could tell it was not right

We need to check the timing when at full throttle(2000rpms). What is the timing? Spec is 17-19 degrees BTDC.

We need to verify spark at full throttle on each cylinder with a timing light.

ok I jus noticed orange and orange /BLACK ON STATOR AND ON POWER PACK THEY BOTH ORANGE HOW DO I KNOW WITCH ONE GOES WHERE WHAT IF THEY ARE BACKWARDS WILL IT HURT

Those are the power supply for quick start.You have 2 orange wires one with a black stripe one with no stripe. Connect the orange/black to orange/black and orange to orange.

on my power pack it only has two orange no orange/black

Then it doesn't matter. Orange to orange.

couldn't get to launch to check timing ill have to get back with you

OK

ok went try timing i have to turn light to about 29 30 for it to show at wide open pushing on trailer

Your timing is way to far advanced it needs to be 17-19 degrees BTDC.

The full throttle timing stop screw is # in this diagram. The screw has a locknut loosen lock nut then at the end of the screw is a slot for a slotted screwdriver. Now turn the screw clockwise to retard timing to spec.http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1994&hp=200&model=J200STLERK&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Crankshaft+%26amp%3B+Piston

ok i guess I got to get it back to the water or can i do it on the hose

What you can do is disconnect the link rod to the timer base start engine and advance timer base manually checking the timing. This will get you close then check timing at water next time you go to the water.

ok

Keep me posted.

would the timing make it have like a cough when idiling

No, Coughing is caused by a bad recirculation valve or bad recirculation hose. The real small hoses that run from the intake # 11 to the side of the block # 10 are the recirculation hoses and valves. If the valves don't check in one direction then this will cause popping at idle.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1994&hp=200&model=J200STLERK&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Cylinder+%26amp%3B+Crankcase

how can i find the one thats bad
do you know where i can get a repair manual

You have 6 of these check valves you have to test all of them. Use a syringe filled with alcohol then disconnect the hose from valve and put the end of syringe on the valve. The fluid in the syringe should flow in one direction. So if you pull the plunger it should pull air if you push the plunger it should not flow. The valve is a check valve flow in one direction only.

Here is a link to a manual. http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/seloc/johnson-evinrude-outboard/seloc-marine-manual-1311.html

ok thanks

Your welcome.

Please don't forget to positively rate my help. To rate click on the stars at the top of the page 3 or more, please.

Follow up questions are always welcome on this subject.

Thank you.......Tan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok i went try to set high speed timing but now couldnt keep it runing when i would try and push on trailer couldnt get rpms to 2000 it would kill so i came home pulled front of carbs down i noticed when runing carbs spit gas out front
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my motor is running rich

What is the compression on all cylinders? Since we have good spark on all cylinders we have to verify compression then fuel.

The only way the engine will run rich is due to flooding carbs or weak spark.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
125 all

With the engine off squeeze, the primer bulb does it continue to squeeze or get hard?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
gets hard

When you run the engine up to 2000 rpms squeeze the primer bulb. Does it pick up rpms?

If no change push the choke/primer at 2000 rpms. Does it run better?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i tried that before and eather one helped made it want to kill

Well, I'm out of ideas. If you have spark, compression, and fuel the engine has to run.

I will opt out. Maybe someone else has an answer.

Haven't received any compensation for what I have already helped with gone above and beyond already.

Good luck.

Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Tan
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician