Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1998 225 ocean runner that I bought. It was running…

Hi, I have...

Hi, I have a 1998 johnson 225 ocean runner that I bought. It was running fine when I picked it up. It was in the back of my truck on its side for a week before I installed it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

When I try to start it now it won't run for more than a couple seconds. When I get it running it misfires, and makes a deep sound and dies out. I tried to keep it running by pressing the choke in but it just dies.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

When it dies it is very ubrubt. Just quick dies. loud noise like back fire

I put new spark plugs in but noticed the gap was very small on them. not sure if that would make a difference. the old plugs were black and wet
11/19/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. What is the actual model number on the outboard? Do you have a compression gauge and timing light in order to check for engine compression and proper spark output?

this is rob,,model is j225txecs. compression was 90 on all cylinders or 95. it was running fine when I picked it up. actually running great.
I don't have a timing light
the noise it makes before it dies is like a backfire

H​I Rob. You would need a timing light if you plan on working on this yourself. Did you have any questions that you wanted me to answer, or would you prefer if I explained how we would troubleshoot these types of issues in the shop?

I will go buy a light.

O​kay, just let me know how you would like to proceed.

can I continue with this conversation when I return or by phone?
I am going to get carb cleaner and run a gallon of Techron thru it if it will start, is that a good idea?

When you return we can continue either way you like, either by phone or via the chat system. As for the carb cleaner. That really wouldn't do anything. Your best bet is to get a portable gas can, or even just a Gerry can, fill that with brand new gas. Hook the engine up to that. Drain the carbs. Purge the system of any old fuel. Then see if it starts while running on this portable gas tank filled with new fuel. You would be surprised how often bad gas/water in the gas is the problem.

ok,,I will do that, I am going to pick up the timing light now, I have a service manual. I would think it would walk me thru the timing process.

Your not actually checking the timing with the timing light. All you are doing is checking to see if the spark plugs are actually firing when the engine is cranking over. What you do is hook up the pickup end of the timing light to each plug wire, 1 at a time, crank the engine over, and see if the light flashes or not. If the light flashes, that means that the plug is actually firing. If the light is not flashing, then that plug is not firing. Checking the actual timing is something we do a little later in the troubleshooting process. But for now you are just using the light to see if all 6 plugs are firing when cranking or not.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
ok, great I will check the spark in the morning. I ran a fresh can of gas and it started and ran but the overheat alarm went off so i shut it down. It was running rough. Im not sure if a sign of a worn impeller is water coming out the pee hole when the motor is off. On the hose with muffs. It is peeing when running but water was very hot.
I tried starting a new question about the overheating but it was rejected for some reason