Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have a westerbeke 30b3 on my boat. The engine cranks but

Hi, I have a westerbeke...
Hi, I have a westerbeke 30b3 on my boat. The engine cranks but won't turn over. I changed peimary fuel filter and bled the engine to the cylinders. I'm getting plenty of fuel up until the cylinders but still won't turn over
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: ???
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I've looked at videos and it seems like the fuel is coming out of the cylinders like it should. It's basically spitting when I turn the boat over
11/19/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Is there a story or history to the engine, have you ever personally seen it run? How old is the fuel itself? Have you tried to see if the engine would start on WD40?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
My boat for 11 years. Haven't had this issue before. Fuel is probably a month old or so.

Do you have any WD40?

Do you know what WD40 is?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Checking. We have other stuff.
Liquid wrench penetrating oil
Liquid wrench white lithium grease
Pb blasterI am also checking in the house for wd40

The other stuff will not work. In a nutshell you can not use traditional starting fluid on a diesel engine, it will burn the pistons right out. But you can use WD40 as a starting fluid. You want to start by spraying the WD40 into the air intake while cranking the engine over at the same time, and see if the engine starts or attempts to start. Is that something you can do?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok, checking in the house for wd40.

Okay let me know what happens.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Anything else to try while my wife is checking for the wd40?

Can you pull the injectors and check the engine compression or check and see if the glow plugs are working?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Not sure how to do that?

Well lets see what happens on the WD40 and go from there.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I will buy the wd40. What do I do after spraying the wd40?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Haven't found the wd40

You want to spray the WD40 into the engines intake while cranking the engine over at the same time and see if it starts or attempts to start.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
if the wd40 works should it then continue to work?

No not necessarily. Using the WD40 is just a test to try and get an idea of what is wrong with the engine. The engine needs 2 things to run, it needs fuel and it needs compression. WD40 is a fuel and it will ignite and burn in a diesel engine. If the engine does nothing on the WD40 then it has a compression problem. If it does start and run with the WD40 then there is a fuel problem that needs to be found. If it does start with the WD40, the next step would be to get a portable fuel tank, fill that up with brand new diesel fuel. Hook that up to the engine, bleed it, then attempt to start it again on the new supply in order to rule in or rule out any possibility of bad or spoiled diesel fuel. Does that all make sense.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
thabks. That's too much for me. I'll have a mechanic come.

You are very welcome. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic