Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Bought a used 2001 Sea-Doo Challenger 189 Bombadier and took

it out today for the...
Bought a used 2001 Sea-Doo Challenger 189 Bombadier and took it out today for the first time and the hull completely filled with water! Drain Plus were in
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Not sure what else to say, no apparent damage to hull, new motor everything ran great until it filled with water. Bailed twice just to make it back to shore. Not sure bilge pump was working or if it could be a seal somewhere
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: No
Answered in 3 days by:
11/21/2017
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your boat question. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced,
I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question. Did you still need some help with this?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Looks like the seal is bad across the back of the boat and there is a small crack on the on the side of the mounting platform the engine sits on. Any suggestions?

Can you get a couple of pictures so I can have a look?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Ok, I took pictures and will try to upload them from my phone.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
See pictures below
52DC44ED-8103-4C1D-B866...jpeg52DC44...jpeg7236E14C-963E-4F4B-A758...jpeg7236E1...jpegC4813799-5B26-45F6-9946...jpegC48137...jpegB5C11749-4A4E-4F48-A45A...jpegB5C117...jpegDC41A407-95CB-410E-9695...jpegDC41A4...jpeg

T​he hull seam is likely a fairly easy fix. Once the center of the rub rail is pulled out there are screws underneath that hold the hull halves together. The halves are sealed with silicone sealer so you may be able to just scrape away the old sealer and put new in there, unless something is broken under the rail. The shop notes mention a fitting on the jet pump leaking? May be just missing a plug. But it also states leaking from the engine, did they say where? I would not be too concerned about the crack near the drain although I am wondering how it got there, kinda strange.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Yeah, I was thinking I could probably deal with the seal myself. I also think it is a plug miss in the motor that is dumping all the Ayer into the motor compartment. You think we can seal the small crack with a fiberglass patch? I can resend the pictures of the motor I stuck a bright green piece of paper where the hole is.

Y​eah, if that's a threaded hole it most likely is a plug that fell out or possibly a fitting-see picture, number 2. If it is just a small crack you may be able to use Marinetex to fill it. It is just as strong as fiberglass resin and easy to work with. Should not be any need to add glass, just need the fill material.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Sounds good! Definitely ridges in the hole I felt them. Where can I buy the Marinetex materials?

West Marine or any marine supply store should have it. It comes in a small size with two parts, mix them and you have about 10 minutes to work it in. Very sticky and very strong, I love the stuff for small non-cosmetic repairs. LOL, sorry I just realized the picture from the last response didn't upload.

Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Great! Thanks so much for all of your help! ��
Boat Doc
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast