Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

My Suzuki 140hp outboard (4 stroke) keeps throwing the oil…

Hey, my Suzuki 140hp...

Hey, my Suzuki 140hp outboard (4 stroke) keeps throwing the oil pressure light and rev light when I throttle back abruptly.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Oil levels are still good and oil is still a nice rick golden color. I put into neutral and then the warning goes away and I can get going again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

The engine has 400hrs on it and was reportedly serviced a couple of hours ago. I bought them on a used boat that I recently purchased. Only the port engine is giving issues.

11/18/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote, has you or anybody else actually checked the oil pressure yet to see if pressure was in fact dropping way down whe you pull the throttle back?

Hi Jason, my name is***** haven't managed to get the oil pressure checked yes as I haven't been able to get the engine to a Suzuki workshop. The levels are ok but I can't attest to the pressure.

Hi Normal. Did you have any questions that you wanted me to answer? Or would you prefer if I explained what we would do in the shop if you brought it in?

If you could run through a simple troubleshooting approach with me I'd appreciate it.
Also seeing the pressure light only comes on when I throttle back could it be an oil pump issue? My train of thought is if that was the case would the problem not be there despite what the throttle inputs were, and more so at high revs.

Sure thing. There is an oil pressure sensor switch the engine. That switch activates when the oil pressure drops down below 4 psi. The normal oil pressure on the engine is 61 to 74 PSI at 3000 RPMS. The oil pump on the engine is mechanical, and it's output rate is directly related to engine speed/RPM. When you throttle back quickly it is normal for the oil pressure to drop pretty hard. It would certain drop below 61 PSI. It's just a question of if its' dropping below 4 psi or not. So what we would do in the shop is remove the oil pressure switch and stick an mechanical oil pressure gauge in it's place, go run the boat and see what happens. It's a basic pass or fail test and oil pressure is either going to drop below 4 psi or it's not. If it does not drop below 4 psi, the oil pressure sensor is faulty, and activating prematurely. If it does drop below 4 psi then you either have a bad oil pump, mechanical damage on the crankshaft bearings causing a drop in oil pressure, or sludge in the engine. If the engine does have low oil pressure on quick deaccelleration the first thing is to remove the oil pressure gauge that was installed, disconnect the plug wires so the engine will not start, and then crank the engine over a little bit and see if a sludge ball comes out of the opening for the oil pressure sensor. If nothing really comes out of that, then the last and final step is removing the engine block, inspecting the crank bearings, looking for signs of internal sludge in the engine pan, and if that all checks out, ultimately replacing the oil pump itself. But start with the manual reading first, in most cases it's just the sensor that is bad. Does that all make sense. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

I'll make sure to put forward the rating. The rev limiter does also engage and the rev light comes on too. I'll have to get the engine through to a Suzuki mechanic to go through all the required checks. Is it unhealthy for the engine if I move the throttles into neutral and by doing so cancel the warning, then throttle up and carry on with my journey?

The rev limiter does also engage and the rev light comes on too.​

​That's normal, whenever the engine detects low oil pressure or engine overheat, whether real or false alarm, it also puts the engine into power reduction mode.

Is it unhealthy for the engine if I move the throttles into neutral and by doing so cancel the warning, then throttle up and carry on with my journey?

​No, not really. If the engine has low oil pressure all the time the engines computer will what it is supposed to do and that is sound the alarm. If the alarm is only sounding if you pull the throttles back quickly, just pull them back a little slower if possible in order to prevent that drop of oil pressure from happening (if it is actually happening and not a false alarm) Was there anything else?

one unrelated question - when I'm back at berth I run fresh water through the engines after trimming/tilting them all the way up out of the water. I attach a hose to the inlet on the right of the engine after removing the threaded plug. Should I start the engine and let it circulate the fresh water, as long as there is water coming out of the "tell tale" or should I just let the water flush without running the engine.

If you are connecting the garden hose directly to the engine, and not using the flushing muffs on the lower unit, then you should never start the engine. The engines water pump needs to see water at all times, or else it will burn up. If you are not using the muff style flusher then that water pump will not see water.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Thanks, ***** *****

You are very welcome. Happy boating -Jason