Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1990 Donzi 300 with twin 5.0 Volvo Pentas and am…

Hi I...

Hi I have a 1990 Donzi 300 with twin 5.0 Volvo Pentas and am having trouble getting one motor operating correctly. The boat is in Oceanside. Can I drive it to San Diego.. about 35 miles.. on one engine?

11/18/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. You certainly could, however you want to keep in mind 2 things. The first is the boat isn't going to plane out on 1 engine, and it is going to be slow. The 2nd thing is you do not want to push the operating engine hard or to full throttle. Doing so would cause the engine to lug, which is hard on an engine and can damage it. If the weather is calm and there is not much of a sea the boat will average someplace in the 10 to 12 MPH range on one engine. So plan on a 3 to 4 hour trip. On a side note, you might want to think about getting Seatow or Towboat US. Either company will give you a free tow as part of their overall package, and you don't necessarily have to be on the boat when they tow you from Oceanside to San Diego. Simply meet them out at the dock, sign the paperwork. Let them hook up, and they will take it for you. From there you can simply drive down to San Diego and meet Seatow down there at the servicing marina. It's certainly a lot less stressfull letting them handle the tow. Does that all make sense. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

Jason... those tow companies are very expensive when it is not an emergency... dock to dock charges are high. This Volvo penta is fuel injected... the Volvo dealer in Oceanside has had it for two weeks and cannot find the cause of its miss-firing. . New plugs, set timing, new distributor cap, new plug wires, cleaned injectors and changed filters, all kinds of diagonstics but it still misses and vibrates too much over 1000 RPM. Any suggestions? (this is why I am trying to get it to San Diego... better mechanics, I think.

I live in SW Florida and we have both Sea Tow and Towboat US. Each one offers different plans but the most expensive plan is 175 bucks and it includes unlimited dock to dock tows for repairs. Its' really not all that expensive, but there is a waiting period for the tows. It all depends on the season but they typically make you wait a week to 10 days before they will tow it. Again which isn't that bad. Click this link for the prices - https://www.boatus.com/membership/plans-and-prices As for your engine. What is the model number on it. Have you ever personally seen it run correctly?

I am Mike Holland They are 2005 8 cyl 270 hp Volvo 5.0 gxi with 250 hours. It always has had a slightly rough run, but nothing like this... started about two weeks ago as we were running offshore to san diego.

H​I Mike. Has the fuel pressure been checked while under a load? Has the engine been run on a different fuel supply yet, such as a little 5 gallon portable fuel tank filled with brand new fuel? Does disconnecting a spark plug wire or shutting down a cylinder through the scan tool stop the misfire? Has the engine been compression and more importantly leakdown tested yet?

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Thanks I will ask the attending mechanic

You are very welcome. Thanks again and happy boating. -Jason