Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

My 1994 evinrude 50hp tilt/trim drifts down. How do I fix…

Customer Question
My 1994 evinrude 50hp...

My 1994 evinrude 50hp tilt/trim drifts down. How do I fix it?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

When I trim all the way up the motor very slowly drifts down.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

Not that I'm aware of.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Boat
11/17/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jeremy Ewell,
 replied 8 months ago
Jeremy Ewell
I hope you are having a great day. This is a common problem among these units when they get older. Does it have any fluid around the trim rod? This is generally where they leak down. You can go on boats.net and order the trim repair kit and replace the seals. The kit should be around 90 dollars. This is a fairly simple fix so if you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Thanks and please rate my answer if you are satisfied.
there is no fluid leak on any part of my tilt/trim after close inspection
Marine Mechanic: Jeremy Ewell,
 replied 8 months ago

Ok Thanks for that information. Next have you checked to make sure that the relief valve on the side of the mounting bracket is tight? This opens and closes a bypass valve to let you manually tilt the outboard. I would turn it to the left a couple of rounds then back to the right until it is tight. If this does not work then you still may have to rebuild the cylinder because even if there is not sign of a visual leak then it could have a seal on the internal piston that is letting the fluid bypass and return therefore causing the cylinder to come down. If you do not feel comfortable rebuilding it than let me know and I may be able to guide you to where you can get it fixed. Hope this works for you. Have a great Thanksgiving and please take the time to rate me if this satisfies you.

the relief valve was tight and turning the screw head counterclockwise 2 turns then tight again made no affect. Can I obtain a maintenance procedure to guide me through the cylinder rebuild?
Unless I missed it I didn't get a reply for my - can I obtain a maintenance procedure to guide me through the cylinder rebuild question?
I am not getting any new replys.
Marine Mechanic: Jeremy Ewell,
 replied 7 months ago
If you go to boats.net and look up you model it will give you the schematic of your cylinder. You should be able to use it to take yours apart and fix. Also the kit generally come with diagram. Hopes thjs helps if you need more information please ask. Sorry I was out of town is why I was late responding.
I've seen the detailed exploded view of the 50hp evenrude tilt/trim. which is very helpful. are there any videos or written maintenance procedures on how to dissasemble and reassemble the tilt/trim
Marine Mechanic: Jeremy Ewell,
 replied 7 months ago
I will be back at my shop tomorrow and I will see what I can send you if that will work.
Marine Mechanic: Jeremy Ewell,
 replied 7 months ago
I looked in the shop but I don't have the breakdown for it available. You will need to disconnect the battery first then follow the trim wires from the trim motor up to the plug. Sometimes you have to unpin the plug to get the wire out of the mounting bracket. If you do just note the colors. Then raise the engine up and support it since you will be removing the trim assembly next. There will be a clip on the top side of the trim rod to remove in order to take out the top pin. Then there is a nut on the lower bracket, one one each side to remove in order to remove lower mounting bolt. It should come off now. You will either need a special tool to remove the cylinder cap it is the one that has four recessed holes in it or some people use large channel locks. It has standard threads. Once this is removed the cylinder will pull out. When you get it out you should be able to just remove each seal and replace one at a time then reassemble. I would blead the air while it is on the bench and then you may not have to do any fine bleading after reassembly. Let me know if you run into any issues. Thanks.