Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I need a TOHATSU guru.....u got one? Specifically for 70-90

i need a TOHATSU...
i need a TOHATSU guru.....u got one?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: specifically for 70-90 TLDI
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: just that I too am a marine technician so I haven't just recently fallen from the proverbial turnip truck
11/16/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? What year is the engine and how is it I can help you?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Mark.....'07

H​I Mark, What seems to be the trouble? How is it I can help you?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
did you not receive the synopsis I just sent u?

N​o nothing, the last response I received from you simply said "Mark..... '07"

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
OK gimme a few to retype it all

Okay.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
39;07 70 TLDI.....air compressor failed due to lack of lube.....replaced damaged components & fired motor up with separate oil feed to top of compressor to verify no oil.....no oil coming out of any of pump outlet lines.....unplugged plug @ pump & put +12v to blue term (in pump) & touched ground intermmitantly to other (blk/yel) term.......oil pump pumps......verified blue wire in harness has +12v......onboard diagnostics indicates oil pump mafunction ( 4500 indication on tach & flashing 1st light).....apparently not receiving -12v from ecu

Got it. Have you swapped ECU's yet?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
don't happen to have one lying around.....is this the next step YOU would take?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
have you heard of this problem b4?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
ecu is $1650

T​he problem is there are no scan tools for Tohatsu, they simply don't have one. If this was a standard Mercury Optimax engine (which is what the Tohatsu is a clone of) you would simply hook up Diacom, DDT, CDS or any other scan tool to the engine and through the scan tool you can tell the ECU to turn the oil pump on and off. In a nutshell if the ECU is not outputting 12V+ and 12V- each time you tell it to turn the oil pump on then there is either a bad ECU or bad wiring between the ECU and pump. From here you would disconnect the harness form the ECU and ring it out with a volt meter and make sure there is continuity in the harness between the ECU and oil pump. But with a Tohatsu.... there are no scan tools for them. The only diagnostic on a Tohatsu is the tachometer, which doesn't help much for what it a fairly complicated engine... But, Tohatsu's are cheap to buy new and a lack of support is part of that reason why. The ECU has what is called driver circuits in it. Driver circuits are what turn on and off electrical outputs such as the injectors and the oil pump. If parts like injectors or oil pumps fail, they can cause to much current to be pulled through those drivers circuits, and cause the circuit to fry. Unfortuantely with any engine ECU outputs/driver circuits are not fused against this. What I would do personally is either kick it to the dealer and see if they have an ECU kicking around.... or, replace the oil pump and ECU as a pair. If that oil pump is drawing to much current because it is faulty it would simply wipe out the replacement ECU fairly quickly. Does that all make sense to you.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
completely

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

I​t looks like you read my answer and left without selecting a rating for my service, responding back, or simply taking am minute to thank me. Was there something else?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
i DID rate you

No rating came through or is showing up. Would you mind trying again for me. Thanks.

Okay it looks like it went through. Thanks again and sorry for the confusion.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
hey Jason.....are you still there?

I am. What's up?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
wondering if you might know how many times that oil pump should pulse per c'shaft revolution

Give me a few minutes to look in the manual, i'll see if there is anything in there about it.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
was thinking of tapping into the wires coming from the ecu to each coil (coil drivers) & sending those 3 pulses to the blk/yel wire @ oil pump (with a blocking diode in each wire) thereby giving the oil pump one pulse per revolution from the ecu's coil drivers (sharing the pulse with the coils)........way out there I know but it just might work......the alternative is cost prohibitive.......thoughts?

I took a look and there is nothing in the manual about it.

was thinking of tapping into the wires coming from the ecu to each coil (coil drivers) & sending those 3 pulses to the blk/yel wire @ oil pump (with a blocking diode in each wire) thereby giving the oil pump one pulse per revolution from the ecu's coil drivers (sharing the pulse with the coils)........way out there I know but it just might work......the alternative is cost prohibitive.......thoughts? ​

​I have no idea if that would work or not but my guess is it would burn out the injector drivers on the ECU.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
customer was not using dfi oil.....do you think that may have taken out the compressor? He stated eng had been slow to start but now that compressor has been repaired it starts up right away indicating that the compressor had been headin south b4 it actually finally seized up

Not using DFI oil can blow both the compressor and the engine as well. Before throwing lots of money at this, if you have not done so already, you might want to do a compression test, pulled the head to look at the pistons/cylinder walls for scoring. Run the engine and listen to the crankshaft bearings with a stethoscope and see if there is anything growling or scratching away in there. There isn't going to be much of a point in replacing the ECU and oil pump if the block itself is no good. What happens with dino oil in a DFI engine is the oil in the block that does not get burned off starts to clump up, causing fresh oil being not able to get to bearings that it needs to get to.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
10-4......comp good.....looked @ cyl walls with borescope......they look fine..... eng sounds fine
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
are you suggesting to run the engine with no oil?
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Also......can you look into why I was charged $26 TWICE...........PLUS the $6 tip I left you?

No, definitely do not run the engine with no oil. Either power up the pump by jumping it to a battery, or just leave the plugs out and listen to the engine block while cranking over but not running.

On the charge, I am just a contractor and do not have anything to do with billing. What Justanswer tells us to do when customers have billing questions is to direct you to customer service. They can be reached at***@******.*** or 1-***-***-****

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
thanx

You are very welcome.

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic