Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I had a cam shaft break into, the mechanic I use said he has…

I had a cam shaft...
I had a cam shaft break into , the mechanic I use said he has never seen this , I had a parts Mtr from one that slung a rod awhile back , but I cannot find how to position the cams to the crank shaft
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/15/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hi Chris, my name is***** read what you wrote. Can I get the full and complete model number as it reads on the ID tag on the outboard.

I don’t have it handy,

Good morning. No problem, there are no time limits here, just reply back once you have that full model number and we will go from here.

O​kay got it. Now what exactly are you trying to do. Do you need information on setting the cam chains. The timing belt. or both?

I need both

Sure thing. I am attaching the instructions for you. There will be an attachment at the bottom of this response that you can click on and save/print at home. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

Just checking in. It looks like you read my answer and left without selecting a rating for my service, responding back, or simply taking a minute to thank me. Was there something else?

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Hey sorry, I read the response then had my buddy that’s more of a boat mechanic read it too , we did get the engine running today, not the easiest task me and him have tackled , Still concerned what would caused one of the cams to break into , thank you for expertise and ability to sort thru my explanations , by the way this is my fourth F225 I have owned , thought I knew everything that could go wrong with these !!

These are high reving high performance engines and anything can happen to them. I've seen both cams break as well as the sprocket at the bottom of the cam shearing off. If you have not done so already make sure you pop the valves out of the head and check the fit between the valves and valve guides. You also want to check the valve springs. If there is a sticking or frozen valve that can put undue stress on the cam.