Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Can you tell me if a 2004 4.3L MPI Mercruiser is Smartcraft

enabled JA: Sometimes things that you...
can you tell me if a 2004 4.3L MPI Mercruiser is Smartcraft enabled
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: can you tell me if a 2004 4.3L MPI Mercruiser is Smartcraft enabled
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no
11/14/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Did you just need to know if it was compatible or not, or are you having some sort of problem or trying to install something?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I need to know two things .
.is that year of engine smartcraft enabled ..does it have smartcraft technology ..And if it does where is the smartcraft plug and what color is the plug

The engine does have smartcraft. The plug for it is located at the top of the engine. It is a black, round, 14 pin connector that would be empty. That is where the smartcraft cable plugs in to. I am going to attach a picture that shows it's location. In the picture it is letter A, 14 pin connector. That is the one you want.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok but I thought the plug has a purple or yellow terminator in it

It's the 14 pin connector as shown in the picture. Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok but the mercury vesselview mobile module that I would be installing and plugging into the smartcraft plug on the engine has a rectangular plug not a round plug l. And Mercury's video says the smartcraft plug has a purple or yellow terminator on it ...

It's not quite that simple. Vessel view does not plug into the 14 pin connector, it plugs into the junction box. The junction box is what plugs into the 14 pin connector. The 14 pin connector is the network backbone cable for the system, but there are many many more adaptors, boxes, harnesses on top of that.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok but I thought vesselview mobile plugs into the junction box only in installationscat the helm ... is the junction box the connector with the purple terminator ...Please watch this video ..this is the solution I am asking about ...https://youtu.be/OaO1rzVSsfE

The video is talking about a 6.2 liter engine. You wrote you had a 4.3. Do you have a 4.3 or do you have a 6.2?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
The video says the resistor is red for the 6.2 engine which is the engine in the video but it also says that on other engines is either a yellow or purple resistor ...but this is for engines that do not have the smartcraft already installed ..in other words I have 4.3 engine with no smartcraft installed which is what the video says .. if smartcraft is installed then the junction box is what you make the connection to for the vesselview mobile module ..but if smartcraft is not installed your supposed to be looking for a yellow or purple plug that is not round but flat rectangular plug with a purple resistor cap installed

Nevermind the video. Have you read the installation manual for the Vessel View system yet?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
It's not the vessel view system. It's the vessel view mobile module solution which is a cheaper easier to install version of the same thing. It communicates with your smartphone and displays the same info as the vessel view system but not on an expensive display but on your smartphone.See the image here which shows the module with no round plug
https://goo.gl/images/ryXEgFAnd here's another video specific to the 4.3 engine
https://youtu.be/d68rj2tYbJk

I watched the video. Listen to the person speaking. He says at the 15 second mark "how to install the vessel view mobile" on " an engine that already has the smart craft architecture installed"

Now listen to what he says at the 21 second mark. He says "we are going to locate the junction box under the helm"

Your boat does not have smart craft architecture installed into it at this moment. You need the backbone cable and that backbone cable does plug in to that 14 pin connector that I previously explained. The other end of that cable plugs into the junction box, which I also previously explained. The Vessel view mobile plugs into the other end of that junction box. Right now you need the 14 pin backbone cable and you also need the smart craft junction box to plug that vessel view mobile module into. Does that make sense.

It looks like you read my answer and left without selecting a rating for my service, responding back, or simply taking a moment to thank me. Was there something else?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Your watching the video with smartcraft already installed with the junction box under the helm .The last link I sent you is another video that's shows the installation on a 4.3 at the engine where the vessel view is installed onto a yellow resistor cap. This video does not mention a junction box.I understand what your saying about the smartcraft backbone architecture. My original question was is the 4.3 engine already enabled meaning does it already have the backbone architecture is talked at the factory. If it does then that would give me the purple plug to connect the vessel view mobile to.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No I had to drive and didn't have a wifi connection until now ..please read my last response cause your the 3rd mechanic I've spoken to and getting 3 different answers.And I want to make sure I have what I need before I buy the part.

My original question was is the 4.3 engine already enabled meaning does it already have the backbone architecture is talked at the factory.​

​Okay here is where you are getting confused. The boat and the engine are 2 different things. The boat and the engine are 2 different items. Mercuiser does not make boat hulls, and boat hull manufactures do not make Mercruiser engines. The engine itself is smartcraft compatible/ready. The access plug/port to access the smartcraft data is in top of the engine. It is the same round 14 pin black data plug that I explained before.

I am attaching a picture for you. In the picture, H is the engine. H is the 14 pin plug on the engine. G is the 14 pin connector that plugs into that plug. The other end of H (which you need) plugs into the junction box (which you also need) From there the vessel view harness plugs into the junction box. See the picture. Does that make sense.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok your back onto the old vessel view technology and everything your saying is correct with respect to the old technology.The mobile solution is the new technology that was purposely created by mercury to eliminate all that cost, parts and installation hassle of the old technology.I know the difference between the engine and the hull.If your not knowledgeable about the new smartcraft mobile solution then just say so and I'll call mercury in the morning.My original question was to ask if the engine is smartcraft enabled from the factory meaning does it have the flat plug already that they are referring to introduce the videos which do not mention the junction box at all.

I​ have already explained everything I could. This is just over your head. The technology is extremely complicated. You will have to take this into the dealer and have it installed for you.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
As is my original question over your head ...good job and thanks for the condescending tone ...

I am not being condescending. I have explained the same thing 3 or 4 times in a row. You do not seem to understand that you need a backbone cable and a junction box if you want your vessel view to work. But you don't seem to agree with that. Go talk to mercury and pay the dealer, they will install it for you. These things are complicated.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I've gotten some answers from Mercury.
I've learned that my 2004 4.3l MPI engine IS Smartcraft compatible.
I've also learned that it MAY also be Smartcraft enabled meaning the ECM MAY only need the Smartcraft harness and junction box to provide a Vesselview solution at the helm which is NOT the vesselview mobile solution.This also means that the ECM MAY already be Smartcraft capable without plugging a harness into the 14 pin connection on the engine.I am confirming that this weekend. If this is true then I should be able to find the plug with the yellow or purple terminator that the Vesselview mobile plugs into.I have a copy of the installation instructions for the vesselview mobile harness to share with you at my next response.Stay tuned

I am confirming that this weekend. If this is true then I should be able to find the plug with the yellow or purple terminator that the Vesselview mobile plugs into.​

No, that's not the way it works. The way it works is there is a 14 pin harness that is needed that plugs into the 14 pin connector on the engine. The other end of that harness runs to the junction box, which is also needed. There are different size/style junction boxes depending on how complicated your boats network is. If you have a large boat with twin engines and lots and lots of electronics, your junction box would look like this in this picture - https://www.searay-parts.com/v/vspfiles/photos/miscJBox898289T17-3.jpg. This next picture is a basic junction box - http://www.marineengine.com/parts/images/mercury/878492K14.jpg. Next, click this, this shows a basic installation with the 14 pin harness, the junction box, and a couple of smartcraft gauges - http://www.rib.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=57938&d=1301252393. Look at the picture and look at the center of it where it says "termination resistor". These yellow and purple terminators are not on the engine itself, they are on the junction box. Finally, here is a another picture. On this one here, this is an actual junction box installed into a boat. If you look at this picture, you will see 2 purple terminators at the bottom of the junction box and 1 yellow terminator a the top of the junction box. If you do not have a junction box, and the 14 pin backbone harness, then you also need those parts to get anything smartcraft to work. Here is that last picture - http://forums.iboats.com/filedata/fetch?id=7117051

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Ok .. appreciate that. So if I do find a yellow and/or purple terminator then that means I should also find a junction box which also means I should also find the smartcraft harness plugged into the 14 pin plug on the engine.As I bought the boat and engine brand new back in 2004 is it possible it came from the factory with the Smartcraft harness and a junction box already installed ?I know I'll find out when I take a look at the engine this weekend but just thought I'd ask.

The terminators are on the junction box, not the engine. So if you have a terminator then you obviously have a junction box.

As I bought the boat and engine brand new back in 2004 is it possible it came from the factory with the Smartcraft harness and a junction box already installed ?​

​Anything is possible but the only way to know is to get behind the gauge cluster and look. The junction boxes are always mounted in behind the gauges someplace.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Ok I'll ck ..but out of curiosity how long is the main Smartcraft harness that connects to the 14 pin plug on the engine ? I'm assuming it would have to be long enough to reach the location of the gauges ? Unless you can connect it to longer pieces of harness ?

Th​ey come in different lengths, they are as long as they need to be to run from the engine to the helm.

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Jason,
Ok I've checked the engine today and I do not see any junction box, nor any 14 pin connector and I also confirmed that all my gauges at the helm are analog and not digital which is one of the benefits of smartcraft
The closet thing I found to a 14 pin connector was the 9 pin harness plug for the analog gauges which is in the attached pic. But I can't tell what plugs into the other side of this bracket.
I've confirmed this is the instrument harness by searching for the part # visible in this second pic.So all this to say I don't see anywhere that the 14 pin smartcraft harness would plug into. All I see is the bracket with the 9 pin plug.I'll have to ask a dealer since this is a puzzle

Let me get the actual serial number on the engine as it reads on the engines ID tag.

The 14 pin connector you are looking for is right near the ECM. If you still can not find it take a bunch of pictures of your engine from varying different angles and send them my way. I'll see if I can spot it and mark it.

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
Ok ..where is the ECM located ? Starboard or port side ? At the front or at the back towards the transom ? At what would the ECM look like ? Can you send me a pic.Here are a bunch of pics that I've taken. The 9 pin instrument harness plug that I sent you a pic of already is located at the back on the starboard side.
IMG_20171125_085048116.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171125_085033640.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171125_085031605.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171125_085025268.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171125_084907169.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171125_084832103.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171125_084835646.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171125_084806492.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171125_084751096.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171125_084746599.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171125_084740000.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171125_084730141.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171125_084719631.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171125_084707158.jpgIMG_201...jpg

S​end picture showing the top of the engine, the entire top in 1 shot. If there is a plastic cover on top of the engine remove that first.

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
Unfortunately the boat is in storage and getting to it for pics is too hard. The ones I sent you already I had taken before I put the boat into storage.The two pics attached show the ECM according to the pics of an ECM that I can find from Mercury.I have been thinking of this and if the current 9 pin instrument harness runs all the way to the helm to communicate with the current analog gauges if I were to install a smartcraft harness to give me digital gauges at the helm would the 14 pin connector not plug into the same spot as the 9 pin connector does today since the other side of that connection is all the sensors that are communicating the engine info like rpm, oil pressure, fuel level, etc ..So is it possible that where the current 9 pin instrument harness plugs into is the same location for the 14 pin smartcraft plug and harness which would mean that it would have to be replaced from a 9 pin to a 14 pin connector?Just a thought

Okay in the 2nd picture that you sent, that is the ECM. The plug should be right near it. The plug should say something like CAN1 on it.

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
Ok and it's round and 14 pin ...Could it be below the ECM since there is nothing at the top near the front or back of it ?

U​sually it's right near it. It will say CAN on the plug someplace.

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic