Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I just bought a new 2018 115 4 stroke merc and ask the shop

to put in a switch...
I just bought a new 2018 115 4 stroke merc and ask the shop to put in a switch for a second battery( 1100 miles away) I just looked and the switch has a neg cabel in the middle slot and a black grounds going back to the engine. Whats up
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no
11/14/2017
Matthew John
Matthew John, Marine Mechanic

Hi my name is***** to Just Answer ! I will be assisting you.

I have seen installations like this where black starter cable is used in place of red cable. This is all good in practicality, but in these types of installations they should really be using LONG red heat shrink on the cable ends to identify that it's a positive lead, hence prevent any confusion.

If you wish, remove the battery switch, make sure the middle lead is COMMON and trace the lead back to the engine's + on the starter solenoid.

You should find it is rigged properly, BUT if they have used the only (black) colour lead they had to do the job. PLEASE let me know if you have any START or accessory issues so that we can investigate further. If there are any start issues, don't hesitate to pop the cover and inspect fuses after consulting your operators manual.

Regards,

Hi there. Just a quick follow-up to see how you went...

Please don't hesitate to let me know of any concerns you may have in the future!

Be sure to hit my Star Rating ! ! ! ! !

All the best!!!

Regards,

Matthew John
Matthew John, Marine Mechanic
Matthew John
Matthew John
Matthew John, Marine Mechanic