Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Here is a link to a video of the Optus coughing at idle. Any…

Hey Matt here is a...
Hey Matt here is a link to a video of the Optus coughing at idle. Any ideas? https://youtu.be/2WHBKTRjDxw
11/14/2017
Matthew John
Matthew John, Marine Mechanic

Hey mate, sorry for the late reply! I'm on the East Coast of Australia. Just finished work an hour ago.

That's terrific that you sorted the last problem! I've been caught out a couple of times with that same situation, it can sometimes be hard to identify, as you have found.

Yes, I had a look at the Vid and I was just wondering if the engine was already up to operating temperature, but It's pretty normal for them to do that, running on the flush device with no back-pressure on the exhaust. You can put the boat in the water to retry. Let's know how it goes then and if you still get a misfire, let me know or take avid to send again. I think Optimax spark plugs, you can run them out to 200 hours of operation, but if in doubt, just replace them.

Do you know the engine hours? How does the boat run under load?

Regards,

Just wondering if you have Smartcraft Gauges?? If you have a faulty ignition coil you will get an EST (Electronic Spark Terminal) fault appear on the digital display. In some cases where this occurs, you can touch ALL of the ignition coils to feel their temperature and if one of them has a fault where an internal short or low internal resistance is present, it will get HOT or hotter than the others. This will also explain why the battery voltage has suddenly begun to drop. I will try and retrieve for you the resistance specs and test procedure for this.

Regards,

Thanks Matt thats good to know. I am taking the boat out this week and will let you know what happens

Cheers Mate!

Matthew John
Matthew John, Marine Mechanic