Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Have a 2006 evinrude 200 etec the power trim has allways…

Have a 2006 evinrude...

Have a 2006 evinrude 200 etec the power trim has allways worked fine but all of at once it now will not lower or raise when unde power.it works fine if i put in neutral.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Same as just sent

11/13/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. If the engine is off and you push the throttle handle forward, does the trim not work or does it work?

Hi, I'm Claude Morrell. Yes, the trim works when off. The only time that it doesn't work properly is when it's in gear and under power.

Hi Claude. When the outboard is in gear and under power, is the electric trim motor running or is it not running when you hit the buttons?

That I don't know. When I'm running/under power to get it to go up or down to trim out, I have to switch into neutral to get it to go up or down. I haven't been in a position to hear if the motor is running or not.

If you trim the motor up a little bit, and then stick it into gear and give it the gas, does the trim hold or does the outboard drop back down?

When I put it in neutral and trim the motor, then put it back in gear, the trim will hold. I just can no longer trim up or down when in gear.

Are you able to go run the boat and let me know if the electric trim motor runs when you are in gear and under power?

I can do that on Wednesday when I go back to the coast, but I don't have the boat here.

N​o problem, there are no time limits here. I really need to know if the electric trim motor is running or not when you are in gear. Let me know once you find out and we will take it from there.

Okay

Okay talk to you then.

Also, I don't know if this helps you out or not, but when I load the boat on the trailer, most of the time I leave the motor in gear after I shut the motor off. I can still raise the motor then. I just can't do it when I'm moving.....then I have to go to neutral before it will allow me to trim out.

That really doesn't mean anything at the moment.

Okay, I'll let you know something on Wednesday when I am at the boat.

Okay sounds good.

Hey Jason. I was able to go down and check on the boat. The electric trim motor runs when I trim up, but it does not run when I trim down from the shift/accelerator lever when I am in gear. I tried doing this as well on the engine itself using the buttons there and the electric trim motor runs going both up and down and the engine trims up and down from those buttons like it should. Seems like maybe it is something in the relay/electrical from the shift/accelerator? Let me know what you think. Thanks.

I​f you try and duplicate the problem by moving the shifter handle forward but without actually starting the engine up, does it do the same thing?

If it's in any position other than neutral, the trim will not go down using the buttons on the shifter/accelerator.

O​kay that's going to be a short circuit inside of the shifter itself. Basically the wires for the trim button go down and into the shifter at the base of the shifter handle itself. The wires twist back and forth each time you move the shifter handle forward and back, and eventually the wires split. So you would want to start by checking for a broken wire right there at the base of the shifter handle. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Thanks Jason. I believe that you have to be right about the cause. I will get that taken apart and hopefully find that wire. Thanks so much for your help!

You are very welcome. Thanks again and happy boating.

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic