Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I want to continue fishing for rockfish until Jan 1 and i

Customer Question
need to know if I...
I want to continue fishing for rockfish until Jan 1 and i need to know if I need to drain the cooling system on my 150 hp Yamaha outboard after every trip or is it self draining. I keep it on a lift with motor in vertical position
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: I plan to winterize it after fishing season is over
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/13/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. What is the model number on your 150 Yamaha?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My Name is ***** ***** my outboard is a 2005 model

Hi Gordon. What model is it exactly?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a hearing problem by phone, please use E-mail response.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry I have a hearing problem with telephone. Please use E-mail, Thanks Gordon

Did you get my last reply? I would need to know the exact model number on your outboard as it reads on the ID tag. Do you have that number handy?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have not yet rec'd your response. please advise. Thanks Gordon

I would need to know the exact model number on your outboard as it reads on the ID tag. Do you have that number handy?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
no model # is not handy right now. Will get it to you later. No sarcasm intended but how many different model 2005 150 HP four stroke Yamahas are there
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 28 days ago

Hi Gordon. Here is what you are looking at. All of the engine blocks are self draining. Once you turn the key off, all of the cooling water will drain out of the engine block, and there is no possibility if the engine block cracking. However, some engines have water cooled fuel coolers. If water is left to sit in the fuel cooler, the cooler will crack and split, and the engine will no longer run. The real reason I wanted the full and complete model number is ***** see if you have a water cooled fuel cooler on the engine or not. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic