Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

It turns over and occasionally fire but won't stay running.

Customer Question
It turns over and...

It turns over and occasionally fire but won't stay running

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

I think it's a gas issue because it will turn over and start and sputters and won't stay running

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Boat
11/12/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote but I do not see any kind of model information. Which engine are you asking about specifically?

2012 yamaha waverunner not sure of size
hull id is YAMA3224F212

Okay I do not work on those. I will opt out and leave your question open to the community.

Marine Mechanic: MarineService8, Marine Mechanic replied 8 months ago
MarineService8
MarineService8, Marine Mechanic

You need to start by doing a compression test, first pull all the spark plugs out and crank the engine over make sure no water is in the cylinders. Connect a compression gauge to each cylinder 1 by 1. Verify your readings are within 10% of each other.