Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

The tilt on my MinnKota dErive motor will not raise / lower.

Customer Question
The tilt on my...

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

The motor it's working (the prop runs), but when I press the switch to engage the tilt, nothing happens (no noise, no nothing)

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

No, not that I know of.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 3 days by:
11/15/2017
Marine Mechanic: Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast replied 5 months ago
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your boat question. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced,
I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question. Did you still need some help with this?

O​kay, first step is to check for voltage at the tilt actuator. You can use a test light or a voltmeter and check for voltage across the two connection terminals while someone presses the tilt button.

I am traveling right now but will run this test on Saturday and let you know the results. If we do get voltage, what would the next step be ? If we don't what would the next step be? Our issue right now is our boat is still in the water and we need to get it out . We typically run it onto the shore onto PVC pipes and then pull it on to our shoreline with an electric winch. The problem with doing that is if the tilt won't raise it has the risk of running aground. Is there a way that will break off or release if it hits the sand? Or do you have an idea of a way we can release it that would allow us at least to get the boat onto the shore where we can further look at it? It's getting cold here in Michigan and we're worried things will freeze up before we can get the boat out of the water. Becky...freezing in Michigan :)

If there is power at the actuator then the actuator is bad. If there is no power there then we will need to check the switch and wiring. There is a release pin on the unit that will release if it contacts the bottom moving forward so that is not an issue. I doubt you could get enough leverage on it in the water to release it by hand, but once it pops loose it is simple to pop it back in once clear. One thing you might be able to do in the water is pull the shaft that connects the trim actuator to the bracket up at the top. This would allow the motor to swing up and you can use the tilt lock to hold it up.

Boat Doc
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast