Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have an ex competitor ski boat which was giving me

Customer Question
Hi I have an...

Hi I have an ex competitor ski boat which was giving me problems.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Turns out it was the trigger, which mechanic changed .he also however in the process changed the Control Modules. the boat goes well now , but it is 8 klm per hr slower, I think it is revving less at full throttle. Could the previous Control Modules had no rev limiter ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Not to my knowledge

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/11/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 5 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote but I do not see any kind of model information. What is the make/model/serial number on the engine that you are asking about?

Hi my name is***** is 200 hp Mariner
ENG no(###) ###-####
I couldn't find eng no on a search I did
But I believe it's a late 1980 or early 1990 model v6 carburator

Hi Adrian. Okay got it. What kind of RPM is the engine making according to the tachometer when the boat is going at full speed?

It's about 5700

Were the RPMs higher in the past?

Looks like one of my texts never got to you. I had a mechanic fix the problem of boat not Erving past 1500 rpm it turned out to be the trigger , but he also changed the control modules in an attempt to fix problem, so I thought maybe the ones I had were modified to have no rev limiter and now that he has changed them that could be why it's not Erving out. Boat use to rev to around 6500 rpm cheers
to high, the engine is actually over reving at that RPM. Max RPMS on this engine are 5500 to 6000 RPMS. As long as you are in that window the engine is operating properly. Has your mechanic advised you that*****to high?
Spoke to guys who built original engine and they said it is built for racing, has different heads and all sorts of modifications and is built to rev higher

I don't get into any of that race/custom stuff, I only do factory engines. I will opt out and leave your question open to the community.

Marine Mechanic: Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast replied 5 months ago
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your boat question. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced,
I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question. Did you still need some help with this?

Boat Doc
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast