Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I just bought a ribcraft 5.85 ,2015. Love the boat .just…

I just bought a...

I just bought a ribcraft 5.85 ,2015.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Love the boat .just having trouble getting the boat to get the bow out of the water enough to really get it to free up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Console is way forward. I'm thinking to move it backsome I checked. And it is bolted to the deck. And looks to be movable. Any ideas?

10/23/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote but I do not quite understand your question. Is the boat having a hard time getting up on plane or am I misunderstanding you?

Hi I’m Robbie.
Good to talk with Jason.
So the boat gets up on a plane very well.
What I’m looking for, is to the bow up more once planning.
I believe this is a motor and trim tab trimming thing. The boat doesn’t have trim tabs. And I have been trim the motor until it starts to ventilate. Motor trim really does Help. The boat gains speed and does go bow up some.
Just looking for more. To handle waves better.

HI Robbie. What happens if you keep trimming the engine up, will the boat start to porpoise?

No. Haven’t gotten to that point.
So I have thought about moving the console back a bit. And or moving the motor down the the ransom some.I just talked to a guy who said there is a wedge you can put between the motor and transom to adjust the angle of the motor to the boat.

If you haven't trimmed the engine up and simply seeing what happens then that is your first step. That is the whole point of the trim system, to raise and lower the bow. If, when all the way trimmed up, the bow is still to low for your liking, then your next step would be adding transom wedges and see what happens. Click this link, this is what you would need. - http://thmarine.com/th-marine-products/outboard-performance/outboard-transom-wedges I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Thanks for your help.
It has been very helpful in getting me in the right direction.
Robbie