Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have a 2012 Suzuki DF300 4 stroke with dual gauges. The

I have a 2012 Suzuki...
I have a 2012 Suzuki DF300 4 stroke with dual gauges. The gauges started intermittently beeping, clearly some sort of warning. The engines had the oil, filter, and impeller replaced at 150 hours and the engine now has 178 hours on it. The gauge said the engine temp was 138. Any ideas of what this may be?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: All I can tell you is the engine ran fine for the last 2 days it only started beeping as I was pulling it on the trailer. I turned it off immediately and then restarted it after 2 minutes and the beeping stopped
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/22/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Is the check engine light, over rev light, oil pressure light, or the water temp light either on or flashing a pattern?

I have the gauges set on the revolving pattern both giving me different info every 10 seconds. I did not see anything on the gauges I just herd the beep and I looked the the Temp first thinking it was an overheat. I saw the temp at 138 degrees, I then looked at the engine to make sure it was peeing and that the line was not clogged and the water was moving just fine. I was using the motor to push the boat up on the trailer maybe hitting a rev of 3300-3500 rpm for a short 3-5 second burst.

So is that a no, no flash on the check engine light, over rev light, oil pressure, or water temp?

Correct I did not see any type of warning on the gauges just the audible beeping for about 10 -15 seconds and after I saw the temp and the water was beeping discharged at a regular pressure I shut the engine down immediately. I restarted it after 2 minutes just at an idle to see if the gauges would beep again and No beeping. That said I only let it run for another 60 seconds or so before turning it off and pulling the bot out of the water.
When I restarted it, the gauges were normal no display of any warning

I​n your boat, is the engine alarms the only thing there is an alarm for? Boats have all sorts of alarms including but not limited to the engine alarm, a bilge high water alarm, CO2 detector alarm, a fuel detector alarm, depth finder or fish finder alarm. Do you know exactly how your boat is equipped and what it has for alarms?

No I do not know but could a high water alarm be it? The reason I say that is because it sounded as I was pulling it on to the trailer and the angle of incline in the bow and the engine being low in the water might make sense?

Did it feel like the boat was overly heavy, heavier than normal, in the rear of it?

Not really but the ramp was pretty steep (incline) so maybe the the nose up on the trailer and the back end low in the water maybe it sounded?

Did you have a look and see if there was water in the bilge?

very little when I pulled it out of the water and took the plug out of the boat maybe a 1/2 to 1 gallon of water was in the bilge

IF you have a high water alarm that wouldn't be enough to do it, unless you had a sticking float switch. Unless you have a specific questions for me on the issue I don't think this is something i am going to be able to help you out with.

Since these Suzuki's are pretty technical and are fly by wire, if I take the boat to a Suzuki dealer would they be able to hook up a computer and would they be able to get a code from the engine? Meaning does the motor have a computer that would keep or store a code of sorts telling the mechanic why it gave warning beeps?
Most of our cars do that today I was just wondering if marine engine had a similar capability
Since the beeping was coming from the Suzuki gauges and not from the depth finder etc, and the gauges were not flashing any warnings just a warning beeping sound could it be a problem with the gauges

The motor does have a way of storing codes just like a car does. However, that is if it's the engine causing the alarm and not something else, like a depth finder. The reason I asked on the check engine light flashing is because the Suzuki's do have a self diagnostic built in to them in which the check engine light would flash a pattern indicating a code. That's the way it is supposed to work. if the problem was with the engine, you should have some combination of the check engine, temp, oil pressure, over rev light going off and flashing. (For sensor codes it's the check engine light that flashes). Does that all make sense to you.

It does the dual digital gauges are very informative, that is why I was so confused. they were beeping but there was not any waring flashing on the screen such as "High Temp" or Over Rev as I only pushed the engine to about 3300 rpm's to push the boat on to the trailer, and the engine is designed to easily handle 5800-6000 rpm's
Maybe a CO2 sensor could be it as the engine was low in the water due to the angle of loading the boat on the trailer

T​he way they are supposed to work is they are supposed to flash the check engine or other lights. If the system is not working as it should, then you really have no other choice then to go to the dealer. If the system is working as it should, then you have different alarms on the boat that you just don't know about, and you will have to do some investigating to see exactly what the boat does and does not have for alarms on it. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Sounds like I need to go to the dealer to have them hook up the engine and see if it stored a code to make the proper diagnosis. Thanks for your help.

you are very welcome. Thanks again and happy boating!

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic