Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1987 sea ray with twin 5.7's that I just bought.

Hello, I have a 1987...
Hello, I have a 1987 sea ray with twin 5.7's that I just bought. The port engine is overheating at idle speeds and it's losing fluid. Ive seen it boil out of the cap, also boiling into the overflow and then out of the overflow into the bilge. This only happens after the engine has been running under load When I first fill up the heat exchanger and start it up, it idles fine and the temp stays steady at 145-155. Once underway, the temp runs about 170 and stays there until she's back at idle speeds. Once at idle coming back into the slip, the temp spikes and forces me to either shut her down, or cut out the other engine and run the troubled motor alone at about 1100 rpm, which brings the temp down.
Some other facts: This is a closed water cooling system with through hull water pick ups. The boat is out of the water now. The pick ups on both sides look partially obstructed with crud but raw water screens/baskets look clean/free.
After filling the heat exchanger with 50/50 fluid I've run the engine with the cap off and no air bubbles come up at any rpm which leads me to believe that head gaskets are ok.
It has alpha 1s. I was told that the the impellers are new but that they're not used as the engine has through hull intakes and a belt driven raw water pump.
When the boat was taken out of the water, I noticed the exhaust bellows on the affected engine was completely off.
The engine runs great otherwise and made a 3 hour trip at at 3/4 throttle the whole way (3800rpm).
Thanks, Jim
10/22/2017
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Hi Charles. TY

The first thing that should be done is to clean those intake grates. Then even with you being told that an impeller is new, if the wear plates in the pump are worn, the pump will not produce the amount of flow that is needed to cool the engine at lower speeds. This means that you are going to need to take the pump apart. While you have it apart, I would go ahead and replace the 2 wear plates and the impeller in it, along with the gaskets. This way you know for a fact that the items are new and put back together the way that it is supposed to be. If you need a diagram of it, please send me the serial number of the engine.

Ok. Thank you. So what you are telling me is that despite the through hull pickups, the impeller in the outdrive also provides cooling water, and especially at the engine speeds where I'm having a problem? I'm not near the boat now, so I don't have access to serial numbers.
Ahhh, ok. That makes sense. Thanks Charles.

Your very welcome. The diagram is from an engine with a serial between 0B525982 to 0B773739. If your serial number is ***** those, this is the correct one for your engine.

Ok. Will get serial number and check that out. Where is the serial number location on the engine?

It should be located on the air breather on the top of the engine.

Im not seeing the sticker on it there. The other location would be down by the starter if the engine block is the original one to the boat. The diagram i sent is from a 1987 5.7L 260 engine, so it should be the same as yours.

Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Sweet, thank you. Appreciate the advice