Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Got an 05 Yamaha 200 v max. Flashing code on the speedometer…

Got an 05 Yamaha...

Got an 05 Yamaha 200 v max. Flashing code on the speedometer 188. Nothing else is showing on the gauge. That will flash as long as the motor has voltage going to it. And it will flash even if not running. What’s the code mean?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Motor is a barn yard motor. 50 hours on it. Ran fine all day. Just has the code 188 now.

10/22/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Good morning, my name is***** do apologize for the wait, none of us work Saturday nights. Did you still need help with this or were you already able to find your answer?

Still need help.

Sure thing. The problem is actually just going to be a bad tach with a fried internal circuit board. There isn't actually a code 188. The highest the code numbers go to is 187. Code numbers 160 through 187 are all for various problems with a fly by wire remote control system (the shifter assembly) which your 2005 outboard wouldn't even have because it's to old. I'm going to attach the code list so you can see it for yourself, it will show up as an attachment at the bottom of this response as a link you can click on to save/print out. Other than that, you simply need a new tach. Does that all make sense. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

The code is popping up on the speedometer gauge. The tac gauge works fine. Does that mean the it’s the speed gauge not that tac gauge that’s bad?

Yes, sorry about that, I mis-read the question and was thinking about the tachometer. If it's the speedometer that's showing 188 then that is going to be either a bad speedometer or a bad speed sensor. The speedometer gets it's signal from the engine speed sensor, which is just a pressure transducer. What you would do is simply unplug the speed sensor and see if the speedo drops down to zero. If it does, then it's actually the speed sensor that is bad, if it still shows 188 with the speed sensor disconnected, then it's going to be a bad speedo. I am attaching the instructions showing what the speed sensor looks like and where it is located on the outboard. See attachment.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Thank you you have been very helpful. Have a good day

You are very welcome. Thanks again and sorry for the confusion. Happy boating. -Jason