Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have an oil leak on the starboard side top under flywheel.

Customer Question
Serial number 1b534509.....
I have an oil leak on the starboard side top under flywheel. Serial number 1b534509..
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Boat
10/17/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hi Kyle, my name is***** read what you wrote but I do not see any kinds of questions. How is it I can help you?

Can you suggest what causes the oil leak. The alternator is not showing any sign of charging. Are these two possibilities related?

Is the alternator itself covered in oil?

the alt. Is wet w/oil. Where cold the leak be?
Are there any service bulletins for this engine?

Got it. There are no bulletins out on this motor. On your oil leak, the only thing under the flywheel that can leak is a bad upper crankshaft seal. Click this link, the crankshaft seal is #5 http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/28324/12586/100

On the alternator. That is going to be either a bad alternator (likely from the oil getting in it) or a bad fusible link wire. Click this link for another diagram - http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/28324/12586/32

In this diagram, #25 is a fusible link wire. This wire runs between the alternator and a power stud on the engine. The power stud is #22. Also on this power stud is the battery cable that runs down to the battery. To tell which it is all we would do in the shop is simply disconnect that fuse wire and use a volt meter and see if there is continuity across the wire. If there is no continuity, the fuse wire is blown. If there is continuity, then it's going to be a bad alternator. Does that all make sense. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic