Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

For five fishing trips in a row over the coarse of 10 days…

Customer Question
For five fishing trips...

For five fishing trips in a row over the coarse of 10 days my 2013 prox xs 250 has been shutting down at idle speed. ill restart the engine several times before it finally takes off and runs great at high rpm. the problem only occurs when the air tempt starts getting warm around mid day. i can smell gas fumes a little when it warms up and thats when the problem occurs. the dealership has had several times lately and get the engine to repeat the issue. we had a cold front come through and the air temp is down so the gas is not expanding. not sure if that is part of the problem or not. the dealership is dumbfounded as well.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Early in the mornings it starts just fine. until the air temp starts to rise is when it starts giving me problems. it will start during its problem. as soon as i put it in gear it dies.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 Mercury?

2013 mercury optimax pro xs 250

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Its been at the dealership 4 times over the past week and a half. they are trying to figure it out. no success so far

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just emphasize that when the outside air temp warms up i begin to smell a light odor of gas. thats usually when the problem begins

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Boat
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
10/17/2017
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Do you know or have a list of what the dealership has tried already?

changed fuel line. checked water separator. changed primer bulb. they did this and it continues to die at idle speed after the air temp warms up outside. they've been running the motor lately attempting to get it to duplicate the problem. the problem is they ran it first thing in the morning when its still cool outside. and we've had a cold front come through so its cooler outside. it malfunctions when it gets warm outside around mid day and when i start to smell fuel vapors emitting from the back of the boat

Do you have the boat and a gauge that can read over 100 PSI?

They checked fuel pressure and it was good

What I am wanting to test is the key up pressure of the pumps and to see if it will hold pressure.

just spoke with service manager. he informed me that the pumps are definitely holding pressure

The pump or part that I am concerned with is the grommet on the top of the high pressure pump. With a cold engine, and the gauge connected to the fuel rail, the pressure will go to 40 PSI while the pumps run and then drop to around 10-20 PSI and hold there. If this pressure drops, the grommet is bad. This will cause the engine to stall out.

Also since the boat is a 2013, it should have the EPA fuel system with the pressure valve in the fuel line near the tank. When the boat gets hot and the fuel expands, if this valve is bad, it will allow excess fuel pressure to hit the VST. When it does, any fuel that bypasses the needle will go out the vent. There is a hose on the top of the VST that is held on with a zip tie. You can remove that hose and see if it is wet, or smells strongly of fuel.