Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Not starting, no power anywhere. battery is new. It is a…

Customer Question
Not starting, no power...

Not starting, no power anywhere. battery is new

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

It is a 1999 212 with a 5.7 l engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Engine only has 189 hours on it, checked gearshift it in in neutral. it seems like a fuse or breaker beteen battery and dash.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Boat
10/16/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Who makes your 5.7 engine. Is it a Mercruiser, Volvo, or something else?

Are you here?

Jim
and it is a mercruiser.
i'm here

Hi Jim. Mercruiser engines are cataloged by serial number. Do you have that number handy so I can look up and see exactly which version of the 5.7 you have.

it is a alpha gen 1 s/n oL080849

Okay got it. Is there a history to this engine you can share with me? Do you know when it last had power and last started? Have you checked anything on your own yet? More importantly, has anybody hooked up a battery backwards or a battery charger backwards?

ran it about a month ago with no problems took family out and put back on trailer, put back in garage. the main beaker 50 amp is in on top of engine, it is in N and safety switch is up, no power anywhere.
I was just getting it ready for an oil change and thinking about winterizing it.

Do you have a hand held volt meter, do you know how to take voltage measurments, and are you near the engine now?

I can do that

Is there any kind of battery switch between the battery and engine, or does the battery connect directly to the starter?

No
2.8 volts at battery

You have just 2.8V at the battery, is that correct?

If you have 2.8V at the battery then you have a bad battery. A fully charged battery will read in the neighborhood of 12.6 to 12.7. You want to start by trying to charge the battery and see if it will take a charge or not. If it doesn't, then you would simply replace the battery. Marine batteries have a life span of 2 years, so even if your battery is "not all that old", it's not uncommon at all for them to fail within that time frame. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

It looks like you read my answer and left without selecting a rating for my service, replying back, or simply thanking me. Was there something else?

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic