Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I was working with earlier. My issue was the gear shift in…

I was working with Jason...
I was working with Jason earlier. My issue was the gear shift in the front of the lower was misaligned when I put it back in after I had replaced the impeller. It would not go in gear. Now I have it back together and it does not seem to have a neutral. It spins the prop when in Neutral.Any thoughts?
10/15/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello Jason here again. I read what you wrote. When the shifter handle is in neutral, can you spin the propeller in either direction by hand? (With the engine off obviously)

No sir

I​s the propeller locked when you try to turn it by hand?

I Cannot spin the prop when it is in neutral any more

Okay if you can't spin it by hand then the gear selector is still mismatched. When you go to install the lower unit back up into place both the lower unit and the outboards shift linkage need to be in forward gear. So what you want to do is drop the lower again. Once off, push the shifter handle all the way forward. Then take the little shift shaft at the front of the lower unit and turn that all the way clockwise while turning the propeller counter clockwise at the same time. Once the prop locks, the lower unit will be in forward gear as well. Then you can put it back up into place. When you look at that little shift shaft, as well as the shift rod that the shaft goes into, you will see a splined fitting. That has to be one the money, if you are off 1 spline, it will not shift correctly. Does that all make sense.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Thank you Jason. My son is home from deployment and he asked to go fishing Monday and Tuesday and didn't want to let him down

You are very welcome. This is tricky to do, and it won't always go together correctly the first time. When I do these I install the lower and then just use 1 nut to hold it in place, then check the shifting operation. If it shifts proper then I put the rest of the nuts on, if the shifting is still off, then it's only 1 nut to take off in order to try and reset the shift linkage. On a side note, please do not forget to select a rating for this interaction. You did sign up for the subscription so it doesn't cost you any extra to put through a rating for me. It's the only way I get paid for helping you out, when ratings are not done I simply do not get paid. Thanks again and good luck. -Jason

We are going fishing! Thank you