Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Its the guy with the broken inner transom plate just

Jason its kevin the guy...
Jason its kevin the guy with the broken inner transom plate just wondering if you have any tricks to get the outdrive off? mine is froze on ive sprayed penetrating oil on it but don't dare hit it to hard on the account of breaking it
10/15/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hi Kevin, Jason here. Were you able to get the drive off yet, or is it still stuck?

Still stuck

Got it. Can I take it that all the nuts are off the upper unit?

there were 6 and I disconnected the shifting arm

Ultimately the problem is the sterndrives input shaft is jammed in the engines coupler. There are a couple of things you can Try. First is put the trim rams back on, trim up, and then stand on the tail of the drive and jump up and down on it and see fi it will pop. If it doesn't, take the rams back off, sick a 2x4 under the drive and sandwich that in between the bottom of the drive and outer transom plate. Do the same thing and jump up and down on the tail of the drive, or slam the drive down on the 2x4 and see if it will pop. If it still doesn't pop your other options are to chain the drive to a tree, strap the boat down to the trailer. Then try pulling it with your tow vehicle. If it still doesn't come off then you have to either try to lift the engine up with a hoist and see if that helps. Or get behind the engine with a sawzall and cut the driveshaft off. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

On the rating, yes you do have to do that every time, I simply do not get paid at all if no rating is put through. On the piece that's cracked, I looked at the pictures, I can't really tell what it is by those pictures. Lets see what happens once you get the drive off and then we can see if that crack is bad or superficial.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hi Kevin. When you say "spraying it again", what are you doing exactly, hosing down that seam with penetrating oil?

hoping it might help not looking good did you see the other pictures

Good morning. The part that's sticking is not in the same area you are spraying. The way it's supposed to work is the drive is supposed to come off once a season to have the input shaft greased and the engine alignment checked. The problem is that's almost never done. So what ends up happening is the input shaft of the sterndrive sticks in the engine coupler. If the bellows tear and water gets in there, the input shaft can also rust to the gimbal bearing as well. The engine has to come out to change that transom plate anyways, see if you can get your hoist on the engine, unbolt everything that needs to be removed, and see if you can slide the engine forward and then up and out.

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic