Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

10/14/2017
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

When was the last time you serviced the water pump?

Is the overheat alarm sounding?

No alarm is on the boat and the boat was just purchased used. I run it on muffs but no water

These engine come with an over heat alarm. Since you just bought the boat I would do the water pump. You should have some water coming out the 2 ports. Most of the water will come out around the prop when on a flush. Still should have some coming out the ports.

The water pump should be serviced every 100 hours of use or once a season or which ever comes first.

Now on the top of the cylinder head next to the top spark plug you will have a single tan wire. Pull the rubber boot on the wire back and touch the connector to an engine ground key on that should sound the alarm.

We need to verify that the alarm works or you could burn up the motor from over heat.

Ok I verified that the buzzer works. What temp should the alarm go off if the engine gets too hot? And I do see water shooting out of the bottom of the prop but nothing from the two other holes

The alarm sounds at about 200 F* .

Since the boat is new to you it is wise to do the water pump. There is no telling how old it is. I have seen hundreds of times where someone has purchased a new boat and not service the water pump and get stranded due to over heat from water pump failure.

Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Is the single tan wire suppose to de disconnected? It's just loose with no connection? There's also a brown and white wire disconnected that's running along side the temp sensor wire?

The brown/white wire should be connected to the temp sensor. The brown wire could be a replacement for the original tan wire if it is shorted or for a temp sender for a gauge.That is the wire that connects to the alarm. So turn key on and ground the wire. The wire that turns the alarm on should be connected to the temp sensor in the cylinder head.

Which wire sounds the alarm? That is the wire you want connected to the sensor in the cylinder head.

They don't connect to anything. The main harness that the 2 brown wires come out of is used on many different applications. They are not used in your application.

Ok thank you so much. I can't find the year of this motor to purchase the water pump? The only numbers I see are on the engine placard are SN OE022609

Here is the water pump kit you need. http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=MERFK1204-1

To get part for your engine you use the engine serial number. Your engine is an eary 90's motor.

Here's a link to all your engine parts by serial number OE022609. http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/sn/OE022609