Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

My 2003 Tohatsu 4hp won't start - flicker of oil pressure

Customer Question
light though. Pulled the spark...
My 2003 Tohatsu 4hp won't start - flicker of oil pressure light though. Pulled the spark plug (grounded it to engine block) and don't get any spark. Disconnected the brown wire (kill switch) still no spark. What should I try next?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Boat
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
6hp not 4hp
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/13/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​I Brian, my name is***** exciter coil, pulser coil, and ignition coil all need to be tested with a volt meter. Do you have a decent quality DVOM and do you know how to take resistance measurments?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I have one and know how to use it.

There are 4 parts to the ignition system as a whole. There is the exciter coil, which provides the voltage to run thee system. A pulser coil, which provides a trigger signal. A CD box, which is like the ignition systems brain box, and finally the ignition coil itself. Every part is directly testable with a meter except for the CD box itself. What you do is test everything else around the box. These are pass or fail tests, and they will either read within specification or they will not. If you get a part that does not pass/meet the specified resistance, you simply replace it and move on. If all parts pass, then by deduction, you would have a bad CD box. I'm attaching a page from the factory service manual that covers testing these components. It will tell you the wire colors and the specifications for each part. On this page there will be a spec for what is called a "lamp coil". You can ignore that one. A lamp coil is part of the battery charging system, and it wouldn't effect the spark output. All you need to do is test the 4 components with your meter. If they all pass, it's a bad CD box. If any one of them fail, you replace the part that is out of spec. Does that all make sense. The file I am uploading for you will show up at the very bottom of this response as an attachment. Simply click on it to save/print it out. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

It looks like you read my answer and left without selecting a rating for my service, replying back, or simply thanking me. Was there something else?

H​I Brian. How did you make out?

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic