Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Sailboat — both battery banks were dead. I have a Marinco

battery selector switch with three...
Sailboat — both battery banks were dead. I have a Marinco battery selector switch with three settings: Off, 1 and 2, and parallel. It is about 2 years old. I understand that the “1 and 2” position separates the use of the batteries by bank- house and starter. We always leave the switch to “1 and 2”.
1. Went sailing Sunday Oct 1st. Left boat in dock, ac plugged in, and just the refrigerator on.
2. Went sailing Sunday Oct 8th. Motor started fine, and electronics all worked fine. Motored for about 30 minutes and when we got to open water we turned the motor off and sailed for about five hours. Then, when sailing toward home, I noticed that my vhf radio was showing Lo battery. Later, went to start the motor and there was no cranking. We switched battery to parallel, and still nothing. Had to sail in.
3. After docking, I noticed that the Battery Charger switch was on the OFF position. We always leave it on ON. Don’t know if we accidentally flipped it off at some point, or if it tripped off.
Don’t understand how both batteries were dead. The refrigerator may have drained down the house bank batteries if they weren’t charging but should not have drained the starter battery with the selector switch on “1 and 2”.
In summary, after one week of not being used, there was enough power to start the motor and use the electronics for five hours, but even though the switch was on “1 and 2” all batteries were dead after the 5 hours.
10/12/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Click this link for a picture, does this look like the switch you have? - http://www.marinco.com/~/media/inriver/321861-13189.jpg?mw=410&mh=270

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, my switch has 1 and 2 together, not separate.
I am not on my boat right now and I could not find my switch on line, but the design and labels look like a Marinco.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think I only have 3 switch positions. The top is white and is labeled “Off”, the middle is green and labeled “On 1 and 2”, and the bottom yellow and labeled parallel. I was told that the “On 1 and 2” is not parallel. But I am not at the boat right now.... I don’t think there are separate 1 and 2 switches.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It looks like Marinco BEP Pro Installer 400a EZ Mount Dual Bank Control Battery Switch- MC10.
It’s upper position is red and labeled OFF, middle is green and labeled On with a 1 above the word On and a 2 below it.
The bottom is yellow and labeled parallel.
The MC10 also has a position below the OFF position and it is white and labeled On and has just the 1 above it. I don’t believe I have that position.
I may have been wrong about the colors before.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My name is*****

Hi Joe. Click this link, is this it? http://www.bepmarine.com/en/772-dbc-ez

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I believe mine does not have a switch for 1 alone. It has Off, On (1&2), and Parallel. My boat is an hour away. My boat neighbor will take a picture of the switch for me tonight and I will get back.
Thanks,
Joe

There are 100+ different styles of these switches so seeing a picture of it would really be the best way to go.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Jason,
I took a picture of the actual switch. I see a green check mark and “image.jpg” but don’t see the picture. It looks exactly like the one you sent the link for.... 400A EZ Mount MC 10
Top position= red OFF
2 o’clock position= white ON with 1 above the label
3 o’clock position= green ON with 1 above and 2 below the label
5 o’clock position= yellow PARALLEL
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can see the picture now after I sent it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had a friend check the battery charger switch this morning. It is on. Also, the voltage reads 14+ for charging, and 12+ with the charger off for each bank.

Okay I see the picture, that is the same one as I showed you yesterday. I've also recapped the entire message so far. What is it I can help you with, what kinds of questions did you have on this issue?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Trying to determine why my engine starter bank went dead.
Selector switch is always on the green ON position... which is supposed to isolate the batteries.
Both banks were dead when we tried to start the motor after 5 hours of sailing. Motor would not start in any switch position including parallel. Boat has been at dock since Sunday with the charger on and started right up today.
My main concern is how did the starter bank draw down?

You have a couple of things that could be happening.

1. The batteries are not wired correctly, and something is drawing off that battery bank.

2. 1 or more batteries in that bank are dead and not taking a charge. or

3. The charger isn't working for that bank.

If you are going to try and do this without the aid of an electrician or good marine mechanic, where you would start is to first see if the battery bank in question takes a charge or not. If it does not then the charger and batteries both need to be inspected. If the bank in question takes a charge, then what you would do from there is turn absolutely every accessory on in the boat. Then go over to the opposite battery bank, and disconnect the negative cable, and take an inventory of what turns off. Hook that negative cable back up, then go over to the battery bank that's a concern, disconnect that negative cable, and then take an inventory of what turns off. What you are going to find is there is going to be something, be it the radio, a bilge pump, an outlet, or something stupid like a bathroom light that is hooked up to and drawing from both battery banks. A lot of times things like bilge pumps and VHF's will be hooked up to both battery banks on purpose for safety reasons. If 1 battery bank goes dead you still want those items to power up, so what you might end up finding is something like a bilge pump has a stuck float and is stay on, or that VHF is in fact wired to both battery banks. Does that all make sense. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic