Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I bought a 90 horse Mercury I had them replace the steering…

Customer Question
I bought a 90...

I bought a 90 horse Mercury I had them replace the steering cable.It very dangerous,if I leave go off the steering the boat will go in Circles

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

The boat will going to circle when I leave go of the steering .

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

Steering on the boat have about 8" of play.Also the new motor Is got a25"chef

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Boat
10/5/2017
Marine Mechanic: Noel Schembri, Marine Technician replied 10 months ago
Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. From what you have explained it looks like the trim tab above your prob is not set correctly. You need to turn it slightly to the opposite driection of the side the steering is pulling. Being a cable it will never stay straight on its own but, with a single movement of the boat it will try to shift in one direction but you need it to be put to pull at any direction the least possible.

If you want to have a steeering sytem that will not pull at any direction and that you can leave the steering wheel without the engien turning then you would need to go for a hydraulic system.

If you require further assistance let me know.

Noel