Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

My volvo penta stern drive sx is leaking in water. When i…

Customer Question
My volvo penta stern...

My volvo penta stern drive sx is leaking in water

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

When i drain oil from the stern drive alot of water comme's out then oil that mean's water is leaking inside the stern drive from somewhere , can you advise what to do

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

No thanks

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Boat
10/3/2017
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

The drive needs to be pressure tested to find the leak. So you will need to get a hand pump to pressurize the drive to 15 psi and with a bottle of soapy water spray around all seal areas visible. If none of the visible seals leak the drive will have to be removed and tested again spraying all the seals.

The most common seal to leak is the prop shaft seal it can get fishing line wrapped around the prop shaft and cause the seal to fail. The next would be the gaskets around the drain plug and then the shift seal and finally the input shaft yoke seal. Here is a pump that can be used to pressure test the drive. Use the hose from you gear case fill pump to attach to the pump. http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=MITMV8255&source=froogle&kw=MITMV8255&gclid=CjwKCAjw6szOBRAFEiwAwzixBYOgz9-382PFFEYeCtqljU2EpUloY_2MyrtHJmAOmb2b8zxwcWUAwRoC8qMQAvD_BwE