Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

We are in the process of buying boat that was recently

Customer Question
Hi, we are in...

Hi, we are in the process of buying boat that was recently re-upholstered with a kit for the original seats. The boat was parked under a tree and now the boat has brown spots on the new seat cushions. The cushions are dark purple and white. I tried to use Dawn dish washing liquid today on 1 small cushion with no luck, I do not know the type of tree it was under but to me it looks like it may have been under an oak tree and possibly came from brown acorns. Can you help me with this problem? Thank you, Barbara

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Not that I am aware of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Boat
10/2/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​I Barbara, my name is***** read what you wrote. Do you know what type of material the cushions are upholstered with?

It looks like you read my response and left without replying back. Was this something you still needed or wanted help with???

O​kay I see it. It's very possible the material is going to be stained beyond cleaning. However, there are 2 things I would try first. The first is oxalic acid. You can get this at the grocery store under the name Bar Keepers Friend. You can find this stuff in the cleaning isle. Bar Keepers Friend is a powder and it will come in a round container similar to Ajax. This is a dry powder that you mix with a little bit of water to form a paste. Simply wet the seats, apply some powder. Use a good scrub brush and make a good slurry. Let it sit 3 or 4 minutes, then hose it off. If that does not work, then use toilet bowl bleach. The thick gel stuff that you would use on the inside of the bowl. Same idea, just cover the seat, let it sit a few minutes, use a scrub brush, then hose it off. If you have no luck with either the bleach or the oxalic acid then the material is simply going to be stained beyond repair. From here you would either live with it, have it reupholstered, or use an vinyl dye and dye the seats a darker color to hide the stains. There is a company called SEM that makes high quality vinyl dyes. You can get this stuff at autobody supply stores. Click this link, this would be the stuff - https://www.semproducts.com/product/vinyl-coattm/coattm With this you can try re-dying the vinyl white and see if it covers or not. If it doesn't cover, then you would go darker. Does that all make sense. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

It looks like you read my answer and left without selecting a rating for my service, replying back, or simply thanking me. Was there something else?