Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Either the engine froze or a u-joint in the outdrive failed.

Customer Question
Either the engine froze...

Either the engine froze or a u-joint in the outdrive failed. nothing turns over. when it stopped running there was no big bangs or smoke. i need to know how to seperate the outdrive from the engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Crossing the lake we heard a chattering sound and everything stopped running. i know a little about mechanics, but nothing on this level. the engine is a 4.3 liter engine. 1990 searay 180

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Not that i know of thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/30/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote but I do not see any model information. Who makes the engine/sterndrive in your Searay boat?

my name is ***** ***** think it is a chevy engine(carborated), with a mercruiser outdrive. 4.3 liter engine

Hi Marc, Okay got it. Can you open up PDF files if I send you the instructions for sterndrive removal in that format, or do you just need a written explanation?

It looks like you read my last response and simply left without replying back. Was this something you still wanted or needed help with?

Dominick
Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic