Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have 1993 Hunter Legend 35.5 with a 3GM30 Yanmar 27hp and…

Customer Question
I have 1993 Hunter...

I have 1993 Hunter Legend 35.5 with a 3GM30 Yanmar 27hp and after excessive use of the starter while solving a water content issue in the diesel fuel tank, now when I turn on the key switch nothing happens. No buzzer, no lights, no anything. Totally dead. The 30A fuse located at the starter motor on the engine is fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

The two 12v marine batteries are fully charged, and everything else works on the boat except the instrument panel.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/30/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 10 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Do you have a hand held volt meter, do you know how to take voltage measurements, and are you near the engine now and ready to get to work?

I have a hand held voltmeter. I am not on the boat now

If you are not at the boat now then how is it I can help you, what kinds of questions did you have for me? Did you have specific questions, or need a wiring diagram?

Do I need to check the back of the instrument panel with a voltmeter?

Yes

Was there anything else?

Exactly what on the back of the instrument panel is to be checked? The key switch?

Y​es. Do you know how to read a wiring diagram, trace circuits, do that sort of thing?

No

If you don't know how to read a wiring diagram, and if you are not near the boat now to do this step by step together, then this process simply isn't going to work out. You really need to be on site for this kind of thing. Good luck.