Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Power is dropping out when I attempt to start it. Then no…

Customer Question
Power is dropping out...

Power is dropping out when I attempt to start it. Then no power trim. After it sits for a while the power trim will come back.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

I have replaced the starter, switch and rectifier. I have voltage to the switch and motor. But starter will not engage.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

The starter will try to engage and then nothing

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Boat
9/26/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote but I do not see any kind of model information. What are you working on exactly?

1993 90 hp 3 cyl mercury outboard

Mercury outboards are cataloged by serial number, do you have that number handy so I can run it and see exactly which version on the 90 you have. Do you have a hand held volt meter and know you know how to take voltage measurements? Are you near the outboard now and ready to get to work?

I have a multi meter and I know how to use it. I am not near the boat now but have taken many readings

Is the starter spinning but just not kicking up the gear, is that what it is doing?

No it will not move and then I seem to lose power to trim etc. it is a new strater voltage regulator and starter switch.
Acts like going to ground somewhere

I​t's definitely not going to ground, if it was your battery and battery cables would burn up. Is there any kind of battery switch or isolator between the battery and outboard, or does the battery connect directly to the outboard? How many batteries do you have?

It connects to the outboard and there is 12v there. The ignition switch dens 12 v to relay on yellow red wire and that is also there when key is turned

When power drops out completely that is a sign of a poor connection to the battery or a bad battery itself. What happens on the battery side of things is the terminals can rot out underneath the posts that you put the cable on, which essentially disconnects the battery terminal from the plates inside. On the connection side of things, battery cables do rot out from the inside out. What happens is moisture gets in behind the battery cable end crimps, and that moisture sits there and hangs out, rotting the cable out. Where I would start is by first removing the battery cables (both positive and negative) and sanding down all cable end terminals until everything is clean and shiney, including the battery terminals, reattach, and see what happens. If the power is still dropping out, the next step is cutting off the battery cable end crimps off, stripping the wire back, and seeing if you have good clean copper in there, or see if it's all green and powdery (which is cable rot). If you can strip the wiring back just a few inches and install new crimp connectors, then do that. If you start stripping the wiring back and the cables are just green rot all the way up, then you would install a new set of cables and retest. If it still does it after you have a look the battery cables, then from there you would try a different battery. Does that all make sense. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

I have 2 good battery's and have bypassed the cables with wire still does the same thing

Alright.... Well... Hook your meter up to battery negative terminal, meter positive to the stud on the starter where the battery cable connects. Have a helper hold the key to start. Let me know what you get for a voltage reading.