Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1998 MerCruiser sterndrive GM 5.7 L 350 Chevy 2…

Customer Question
I have a 1998 MerCruiser...
I have a 1998 MerCruiser sterndrive GM 5.7 L 350 Chevy 2 barrel carburetor model MCM 5.7 liter engine serial : OLO55 485.... Here's the issue it started up all by itself no keys in the ignition. Lucky I caught it and shut it off before it burn the engine up. I thought it was a bad ignition switch nothing that simple though I removed the ignition wire and the starter wire from the ignition switch while it was running without the keys in the ignition and it still kept running. If you play with the shifter and play with ignition eventually you can get it to shut off. At times you can turn the key and it wont start sometimes it will. It just recently started all this gremlin ghost crap and don't know where to turn. Could be an electrical problem melted wires somewhere but I don't know where to start looking. Even thought it was a shorted starter.... Replaced the starter it's still doing the same thing. Either not starting with no keys in the ignition or starting sometimes by itself. I've removed the cable from the positive cable connection on the battery to keep this from happening any longer.Any solutions? Anything to start looking at? Thank you David Montanaro phone number(###) ###-####
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Boat
9/24/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 10 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hi David, good morning my name is***** read what you wrote. Have you been working with anybody else on this problem, or are we your first stop?

Yesterday when the problem became obvious my first thought was to call Mercury or kiekhaefer Corporation technical assistance line. Last time I did that I got some yayhoo who the didn't know much more than I did. Previously I called you guys and you help me with another problem so my natural thing to do was to call you again. What do you think? David thank you

Hi David. Okay got it. Is there any kind of history behind the problem? Was the boat working fine one day and then just started doing this another day? Has any work been done to the boat recently, or has anybody been driving screws anywhere?

It just started doing this out of the blue about 2 weeks ago came walking up and it was just running all by itself keys were in the ignition but the switch was off took the keys out of the ignition it continue to run. Yesterday I took the wires off the back of the ignition switch when it just started running out of the blue and it continued to run which eliminated the ignition switch is being the issue. Nobody's been doing any work on the boat or putting any new screws anywhere. Any other ideas? You can call me at(###) ###-#### Thank you, David

Hi David. I can definitely give you a call but you do have to pay for it. Your initial deposit covers a web based chat only. To upgrade to a phone call the Justanswer websites does charge an additional 26 dollars for. If you want to do that, there is a "call me" button on your screen you can hit. If not, we can stay in web based chat. The phone would definitely be a lot easier but just let me know what you would like to do.