Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1989 sport Nautique and it only happens out of the…

Customer Question
Hi ,I have a...

Hi ,I have a 1989 sport Nautique and it only happens out of the hole where bogs down when you got to pull back on the throttle and go back and forth and sometime it dies I change the plugs and wires cap rotor fuel pump fuel filter accelerator pump on the carburetor the gas and the timing is correct so my hands are in the air

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

I think that's pretty much it besides changing the motor, LOL

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 day by:
9/24/2017
Marine Mechanic: Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast replied 7 months ago
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast

Hi, sorry for the delay. Which engine package is in your boat and which carb is it equipped with?

It's a 351 Windsor
Holley carb 600

H​I, sorry I didn't get your phone call request yesterday. My suspicion is the secondaries on the carb are opening too early. If that is a vacuum secondary carb, the spring in the vacuum pot may be broken, allowing it to pull open too early, the inrush of air cannot be met by the accelerator pump shot so it bogs down. Have you ever rebuilt the carburetor?

I changed the accelerator pump, and the both float pins in the bowls ,.it's not a vacuum choke it's got the two wire electric choke no vacuum hoses are on the carb
Can the choke be bad ?
I'm trying to send a pic but it says it's too large ,but the part with the diaphragm with the shaft out the bottom that connects to the back butterflies on the carburetor it's behind the electric choke I tried to send a picture of the carburetor but it won't let me send it maybe you got some else somewhere else I can send
Pleasure craft marine engine 351 Windsor

Yes, that's the secondary vacuum chamber, the easiest way to check and see if it's causing your problem is to disconnect it from the throttle plates, you can remove the little screw and just let it hang. This will keep the plates from opening so you won't get full power, but if it accelerates without bogging, then your secondaries are opening too soon, most likely because the spring in that vacuum pot is broken. Or simply open up the pot and look.

I replaced the rubber diaphragm in that cuz that came in the kit was easy to replace so I just replaced it the only seems to happen when you accelerate in Drive it's weird when it's in neutral it seems to be revving up pretty decent so it can't be the electronic choke correct? It's the part behind that's connected to the secondary

Yeah, I don't think it's the choke. If you are in neutral it requires much less fuel than in gear, because of the load. But it sounds like you are getting too much air, and since you have a good accel pump the next likely thing is the secondary opening too soon. The spring in the vacuum pot slows the opening down, in fact Holley makes a whole bunch of different ones to tune it to different engines. Run with it disconnected and see what happens.

I'm going to try it now hole tight please don't leave me,lol
OK, I tried it and do you know the rpm it should be when you hit it in drive to pull up skiers ? With the screw out of the secondaries it seems to be better ? But need to know the safe rpm s ,it's hard to rev it up on land. But the shaft Springs up and down still you said it maybe broken?

D​oing it on land will not be a valid test, it has to be under a load as the fuel curve changes radically, but it seeming better on land is a good sign. Honestly you should not be able to see the secondaries open under no load, so I think that spring may be your problem.

I did it in forward gear , what if the spring isn't broke?6k high enough rpm? Should it be worse as the engine heats up?
I don't know what it could be? You have any other suggestions? You think it's the carb? Is there a replacement one cheaper ? To buy and try out ?

N​o real sense on spending money of you don't have to. 6K out of the water is still really no load. You have to have the force of the water against the prop or it is like spinning the wheels of a car off the ground. Heck, unscrew the diaphragm cap and look at the spring. Is it in one piece? Does it seem to be "springy"? You could even buy spring kit for 10 bucks and try a couple different ones, heavy first them work your way down. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-200451

Boat Doc
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast