Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Trying to install a tilt & trim motor on a 1992 force 70hp

outboard. Have the unit...
Trying to install a tilt & trim motor on a 1992 force 70hp outboard. Have the unit mounted & now looking to install the relays, switch & gauge. Looking to find any wiring diagrams for it.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Need to locate power for the trim relays
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: Not really. I explained it in my first message.
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/23/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Good morning my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Do you have square type relays or more of the rounder solenoid style relays?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm Will. Have the square type relays. I believe that can mount in the in the motor housings in the front.

Hi Will. Okay got it, are you also trying to wire in a trim sending unit as well, or just the relays?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a gauge that I would like to wire in along with the switch which will be separate from the remote control.

Do you actually have a trim sending unit for the outboard? The reason I ask is because these outboards never came from the factory with trim sending units.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I don't. I have a wiring diagram but it doesn't show any wiring for a gauge. I have a trim gauge that takes 3 wires, which I assumed would be the same wires as the switch.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have the blue and green white striped wires in the harness under the helm.

Do you know what a trim sending unit is, have you ever heard that term before?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I haven't.

A trim sending unit is a variable resistor. It is what sends a signal to the gauge and it is how the gauge knows which position the outboard is trimmed to. I'm attaching a picture. Let me know when you can see it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I see it. But I am not wiring through the remote control unit, by directly to a 3 position momentary switch. Where would the sending unit connect in, with my switch?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where might I find a sending unit that would work on a Force outboard?

That's the thing, there is no sending unit for a Force engine. Force never used sending units, and there is nothing that is a universal fit type thing, so there is nothing you can do to make that gauge work. Did you also need a diagram to wire the trim switch/buttons itself to the relays or do you have that covered?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a diagram but if you have one, send it.
Thanks

Sure thing. I'm attaching the diagram to the bottom of this reply. See attachment. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

It looks like you read my answer and left without selecting a rating for my service, replying back, or simply thanking me. Was there something else?

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks very much Jason.
I've got it from here.
Will
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I rate Jason's service as great!!!
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic