Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I installed a new thru hull transducer and connected the…

Customer Question
I installed a new...

I installed a new thru hull transducer and connected the cable to my Garmin Chartplotter but it does not give me a depth reading.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Electronics Specialist I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Electronics Specialist can help you best.

I have a Garmin 740S Chartplotter. I purchased and had installed what was said ot be the correct transducer. The cable is connected from the transducer to the Chartplotter. I did not have any depth reading. I turned on the surface clutter setting and it did show some activity but it always shows 278 feet of depth.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Electronics Specialist should know?

I dont' know enough to know what to tell the specialist.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Boat
I went out on the boat and tried changing settings and tried all of the different screens. In the Perspective 3D mode it shows the bottom and the cone shows the depth which seems to change accurately compared to the chart information. So the unit must be reading the transducer. But the depth does not show up on any screen ata all, including the place on the main navigation charts screens it is supposed to show. It also does not show in the other sonar only screens.
The transducer is on hull not thru hull.
Answered in 1 day by:
9/22/2017
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

What transducer do you have for the unit?

Airmar P79.

This transducer will only show you a depth reading in sonar mode. It will run at either 50 or 200 kHz, depending on the depth. When you go into the menu to select a transducer, if the P79 is not listed, select a generic 50/200 and see if that will correct the issue.

I tried the 2 different frequencies and also tried dual mode. I dont see a menu that leads to a list of transducers. It appears to be installed correctly and level. The cable is attached to the transducer and the Garmin 740S Chartplotter.

go into the show overlay menu option, make sure that depth is turned on.

I just checked to make sure. It is turned on.

Ok, when was your last software update done?

None in last two years.

I would go ahead and do one. There was a new one in Aug of this year.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00835-03

I will do it. It might be this evening before I can do it.

That is fine. There are no time limits here.

I may not be on when you reply, but I will be notified as soon as I log on tomorrow if I miss you.

Thank you. I am looking for an SD card to use.

You can use any card as long as it will fit into the unit and is formatted.

Thanks. The only one I have that fits is a 2015 software update card from Garmin. Will try that later.

Sounds good. I feel this should take care of the problem.

I downloaded and installed the software update. It was successful. Nothing changed. The Perspective 3D page seems to be working perfectly. It shows the cone, the contours of the bottom and the depth accurately. But no depth, water temp or speed reading appears on any of the pages. Last night, after the software upgrade, it showed 158' of depth on all pages, when the water is actually about 20' deep. This morning it showed nothing. I checked to make sure the transducer has fluid in it and it does. I did not remove the fluid to check if it has exactly 2.4 fl. Oz. But there appeared to be sufficient fluid. I am wondering if the Chartplotter unit itself is defective.

Most of the Perspective 3D is from the map in the unit. What do you see on the Sonar page? Is there a bottom reading, or possibly any fish on it?

I apologize. I just came back up to the house. I meant Fish Eye 3D. Fish Eye 3D seems to works normally. It looks exactly like the picture shown in the Garmin manual. Last night the Sonar Full Screen showed the bottom and it looked like the picture shown in the manual but the depth was way off. 158' when it was 20-30'. Today there is nothing shown on the Sonar Full screen except the screen information and a reddish orange line at the top. And no depth shown on any screen except Fish Eye 3D and that depth appears to be correct because it correlates with what the navigation chart says it should be.

Im thinking that the unit wil need to go back to Garmin for repair since the depth will work on one screen, and then only sometimes on the sonar screen. I would have thought that the software update would have taken care of that. But as a final test, if you have a map card in the unit, remove it, and then try the sonar screen again. If it is still not working, then you will need to contact Garmin for a return auth.

I will try that. Thank you for your help.

Your welcome.

I tried taking the Nav card out. No change. I will call Garmin and get a RA. Thanks again.

You are welcome.

Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic