Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a problem with the stern drive shifting. Do you know…

Customer Question
I have a problem...

I have a problem with the stern drive shifting. Do you know what stern drive manual I should look for on a 1968 33' Nautaline house boat?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Sometimes the drive shifts into either forward or reverse. Sometimes just forward. Sometimes neither. It feels like something might be catching when shifting from neutral to reverse.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

Checked cables, fluids...

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Boat
9/21/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote but I do not see any kind of information on the sterndrive itself. Who makes the sterndrive?

That is my question. I am trying to find out what sterndrive a 1968 Nautaline 33 foot houseboat, with a 318 chrysler engine, came with. This is Ted. Thanks Jason.

Hi Ted. I would have no idea. Boats are not cataloged like cars are, and there is no resource I could look at that says which particular sterndrive would be on that boat. The only way to tell is by looking at it and if possible pulling serial numbers off of the drive. Is the boat in the water or on a trailer/dry dock? Can you take some pictures of the drives for me?

It is in the water. I don't have any pictures. I will run over and try to get some. Not sure if I can get it to where you can tell much, but I will try. The boat was setting for years. I just noticed that above, most of my question is not listed, so I will restate it. Sometimes it will shift into forward and reverse. Sometimes only forward, and sometimes neither. It seems to be hanging up a little from neutral to reverse. Then it feels like it jumps about an inch on the lever. When it does that, it will not engage in reverse. If you play with it a bit, you can usually get it to go into gear. It has a new cable. I disconnected the cable and you can still feel the little bit of hang up when you shift it by hand down on the drive.

Okay got all that. Lets figure out what you have for a sterndrive first and then take things from there.

Hello, just checking in. Any luck with those pictures?