Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

The power trim on my 50 will go up and when down is engaged

hi the power trim on...
hi the power trim on my Johnson 50 will go up and when down is engaged on the control handle engine goes won and pump continues to operate even when totally in the down position. I have to disconnect the battery and sometimes that doesn't work....when I reconnect the battery it is still operating. When this is happening the up position is not working at the control handle. I opened the engine cover and disconnected the electrical plug to stop this from happening. hope this is a satisfactory explanation. thank you
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: its a 2004 Johnson and was working fine. Curious to know if battery voltage could have an effect on this. idk what to do next. thank you
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/21/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Do you have an actual model number on the outboard available?

hi Jason my name is ***** ***** ...2004 Johnson 50 model 50plsrs...thank you

Hi Mike. Okay got it. On a scale of 1 to 10 how good is your electrical knowledge?

5 I was a truck mechanic but electric was never my strong point
I'm retired now

Give me a few minutes to get you an answer typed up.

You have 2 trim buttons. One on the shifter handle, another on the outbaords lower plastic cowl. Each trim button has 3 wires on it. A red, a blue, and a green. Red is power in to the switch. When you hit trim up, the switch combines red to blue, when you hit trim down, the switch combines red to green. An easy way to remember this is blue is sky, and sky is up, blue is trim up. Green is grass, grass is down, green is trim down. Both switches will send power down the blue or green wire and that power goes down to the trim relays on the engine. The problem is going to be 1 of 3 things. Either the trim relays welded their internal contacts together. One of the trim buttons is bad. Or there is a short between the trim switches and the trim relays, and those blue/green wires are picking up power without the trim switch being depressed. The switch on the outboard is easy enough to disconnect to rule that out. After that, you can either check for power at the trim relays on the small blue and green wires that go to each relay, or, you can just replace the relays (they are 20 bucks each) and see what happens. If you do check for power and find none on those small blue/green wires, then the relays do in fact have welded contacts. If there is power, then the next step is disconnecting the trim switch in the shifter handle and see if power goes away or not. If it does, the trim switch in the handle is bad. If you still have power with that switch disconnected then you have a short in the wiring harness someplace. The short can be anyplace in the harness on the engine or in the extension harness that runs between the outboard and shifter, but I can tell you that 99% of the time that when there is a short, that short is almost always inside the shifter handle itself, at the base of the handle where the wires that go to that shifter button. So if it looks like there is a short as you get into troubleshooting this, look at the base of the shifter handle first for the short. Does that all make sense. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

forgot to mention that I seem to hear the engine pump bypassing when in the tilt up position for a lil while...also speaking of the green wire at the engine (pump) it is severed and the end is gone at the pump! any of the make sense...thank you

I don't understand what you mean. What are you calling an engine pump, are you talking about the trim pump?

sorry yes i meant trim pump

Okay go that. You are saying that the trim has a bro***** ***** wire on it as well, is that correct?

the end going into the flip type switch on the engine mount is gone... cut or pulled off. The other two wires are 1 black wire and one white wire with a gold or brown tracer. the green is cut off going into the lever with the eccentric cam. I guess this may have something to do with the problem as it seems that the white wire was pinched at one time as well...so what now?...

Obviously have to repair all those connections and then follow through with the instructions I previously gave you.

is that switch im speaking about, a repair or a replacement, part of the problem...I would think so...right

It's impossible to say without seeing it. But if you have a broken switch or broken wires to a switch then that obviously needs to be corrected if you want the trim to work properly.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
thank you it was a pleasure

You are very welcome. Thanks again and good luck.

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic