Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I bought a used Mariner 40 hp(40E L6) Serial range

I bought a used...

I bought a used Mariner 40 hp(40E L6) Serial range 432000.The motor comes up when in reverse and I cannot find the lock assembly to prevent this. The online manuals give pictures of the lower assembly, but does not mark the parts to be used for the reverse lock

9/21/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Can you send me a picture of the ID tag on the engine so I can try to identify it.

Hi John. Okay got it. Have you gone through the tilt lock system and compared it to the diagrams in order to make sure you were missing parts or missing springs for the assembly?

Hi Jason
The tilt lock is complete & working. When I engage reverse on the engine the engine comes up!! I have a breakdown of the lower shaft assemblies in the manual but cannot ID which parts pertains to the reverselock!! Send me a sketch of how the reverselock works & should look please

My Mistake, I misspoke. When I said tilt lock I did mean reverse lock. Sorry for the confusion. Click this link, this is the reverse lock assembly - http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/544_150.cfm?mdl=DJQKYC

Basically part numbers 13, 14 15, 16, and then 18 trough 25 all make up the reverse lock assembly. It's pretty common for the springs to go missing, as well as #20 to bend. So you will want to start there. Does that all make sense. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

Thx Jason. One last question. Please explain how the reverselock system works. I have done your rating
Hi Jason. I will rate you. I still need to know how the reverselock works. Please explain it to me. regards John

Do you see how part number 16 has a hook at the bottom of it?

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic