Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I am restoring. 1974 Ranger 26 sailboat. I have one battery…

I am restoring. 1974...

I am restoring. 1974 Ranger 26 sailboat. I have one battery and the Perko switch. Can I hook it up to just one battery?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

I have old wiring and when I opened the Perko switch it had two black and one red on the Common terminal. I am putting in new wiring from the battery and want to hook up one battery. All the online diagrams show two batteries. Can I hook up just one?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

Oh I have many questions but will start with this one.

9/21/2017
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

OK
Typing is fine

Yes, you can use the switch as just an on and off switch. Connect the battery positive to the terminal labeled 1, and then the boat red wire to the common.

If those black wires were ground wires, they should not be on this switch as that will cause a direct short and can lead to a fire.

I have removed the old wires and am installing new wires. From the battery I thought the positive was red. Am I wrong?

Yes the positive will be red.

Ground wires will be black

the red from the battery goes to #1 and the black goes to common?

There will also be a red wire from the boat going to the DC electrical panel. That red wire goes to the common on the switch.

All of the boat black or ground wires will tie together elsewhere and wind up with one or two wires at the battery.

Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
OK, got it. Thanks. I will go to work on it.

Sounds good. If you need follow up on this topic please reply here. If you have any doubts, you can post a pic here so I can see what you have there and we can get it straight.