Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have 1992 evinrude 150 engine starts right up and idles

I have 1992 evinrude 150 engine starts right up and idles fine when start accelerating in has no power it boggs if you pump the primer ball in fuel hose it will pick up and go
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: i have replace the stator and power pack originally to a random start issue and the power pack is what fixed that issue and i had replace carb bowls because they where warped witch i had done before the no start issue
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: i can answer any farther questions he may have

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok

Having to pump the primer bulb tells you that either the fuel pump is not pulling enough, or there is a restriction in the fuel line between the tank and the engine. If you can get a different fuel source, like a portable 3 gallon tank and a different hose, you can tell which side it is on. If the engine runs the same with the different fuel source, then it is the fuel pump. If it runs better, it is either in the tank, or the hose between the engine and the tank.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you would agree that it is fuel supply issue not a carb issue or timing issue..i have been chasing issues with this sincei bought it...i replaced all fuel lines and primer ball and cleaned tank and when i took it out the first time it would be fine at low speed and intermediate speed but at high speed it would buck and cut out or shut off..so i was told the fuel bowls were warped so i replaced them and then after put back together and it did not wont to start it would fire randomly and back fire i took itto another mechanic and he said it was the stator i replaced it and still the same issue so then i started doing some checking and came to the conclusion it was power pack and replaced it and now it starts right up and idles great but when you accelerate it starts to bogg down and will stall..but if you pump the ball it seems to run...this is a 92 evinrude opti spark

Yes, this sounds like a fuel delivery issue. If it was electrical, pumping the bulb would not help at all. On these older boats, sometimes the pick-up tubes inside the tanks will loosen up where the tube meets the thru tank fitting. This point will allow the engine to suck air into the system. When you use the primer bulb, you are getting more vacuum on the tube and therefore getting fuel.

To test this, remove the hose from the tank connection, then unscrew the fitting from its base in the tank top. Once it is out, grab the tube, and then try to turn the fitting. If it turns, replace the pick up tube.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
this has fuel tank in floor and has a large screw fuel filter and it happens as soon you apply the throttle..would it run out fuel that quick in the carbs..does the carbs hold much fuel-ok so if i bypass all that just hook up a separate tank and if the problem continues than replace engine fuel pump

The carb bowls really dont hold much fuel at all. Yes if you run it on a separate tank and it still does it, replace the engine fuel pump. If you post the model number of the engine, I can get you the part number for it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
yea i can find the fuel pump..i am just concerned that this problem was not one of the issues i originally had..well i thank you for your i will see how it works out..