Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

2000 mercury 250 hp 2 stroke. Had water in the fuel that got…

Customer Question
2000 mercury 250 hp...

2000 mercury 250 hp 2 stroke. Had water in the fuel that got to the carb. Tanks, fuel resavoir drained, new water separator and fuel filter with water sending unit. New plugs. Fuel pump doesn't run now unless I ground it bypassinfor the ecu. Doesn't start when grounded.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Boat
It is 6 cylinder carbonated engine.
Carborated!!!!
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/20/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Mercury outboards are cataloged by serial number. Can I get that number so I can see exactly which engine you have.

OT108809 2000 250CXXLEF

G​ot the serial. You said the engine was carbureted. The serial number you gave me was for a fuel injected engine. Which engine do you have exactly?

That's the correct sn. It has butterfly air valves similar to a carborator.

I don't understand. Is it fuel injected or not?

It looks like carbs. See the close up of the butterfly valves.

Can you take a few pictures of your engine so I can see what it looks like?

I sent them to "jason on justanswer***@******.*** 8:46am sep 22

We dont' work through email here, so those pictures ended up in limbo. Pictures would get uploaded directly to the website. Click this link and then scroll down to "other", it will explain how to upload pictures to the website. http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/topics/142

I sent photos again to***@******.*** as instructed.This engine is injected, but into a carb throttle body arrangement. There are no injectors into the cylinders. As I told you earlier the serial number is ***** you should use the manual for that SN.

I have no idea what you are talking about. There is no***@******.*** and I certainly did not instruct you to upload picture there.

Do you have a DDT or Diacom, or any other scan tool that will work with the outboard?

The upload was in the link u sent. No special tools, just a volt meter.

If you don't have a scan tool then this isn't something you would be able to fix yourself, with or without my help. You will have to take this one in.

If you knew that I needed a special tool to diagnose why wasn't that the first question you ask? You have wasted three of my days trying to figure out what engine I have after I sent you the serial number. You can refund the charges today thank you.

You can contact customer service for a refund.

You could do it too. You know the situation. Ps it was the ground wire to the fuel pump, broke inside the shielding. Found it with a volt meter.
Dominick
Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic