Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

My friend recently purchased a used boat that has a Suzuki…

Customer Question
Hello everyone, My friend recently purchased...
Hello everyone,
My friend recently purchased a used boat that has a Suzuki Dt75 ( I think a 1984 ) and the previous owner said the mechanical fuel pump was bad. After breaking down the fuel pump and noticing some tiny holes in the diaphragm we bought a rebuild kit ( basically just the two diaphragms and the spring ) and put it back together. After putting it back together we did not notice any change and decided to do some poking around. I pulled the outlet hose from the fuel pump off of the carb and cranked the motor and no fuel came out. Pumping the priming bulb seems to prime it just fine and doesn't leak through the pump. Still, no fuel when turning the motor. I am not a mechanic but have a lot of experience with cars and this thing has me stumped.Things we checked:
1. Made sure there were no leaks in the fuel lines,
2. Made sure the tank was vented and the vent was clear
3. Made sure there was pressure coming out of the crank case where the fuel pump bolts on
4. Made sure the tank has enough gas in it
5. Made sure that when we remove the fuel line going into the pump and then pump the bulb that gas flows out easilyAlso, the carbs were recently rebuilt as well as the shift dog in the lower end. The motor ran for a day on the water before this started so we know the carbs are clean and tuned.Not really sure what else to check so any help would be very appreciated!Side note, we were thinking of maybe just bypassing the mechanical fuel pump with an electronic one. Is this an easy thing to do on these motors? I figured if I could figure out what PSI the mechanical pump flows at I could just match it. If anyone does know what PSI it is that information would also be helpful.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Boat
9/21/2017
Marine Mechanic: Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast replied 11 months ago
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast

Hi, sorry for the delay. First thing I think I would do is run the engine from a spare tank, in case there is a restriction or possibly a pickup leak in the boat tank. But I need to ask- you said "Pumping the priming bulb seems to prime it just fine and doesn't leak through the pump. " Do you mean you got no fuel through the fuel pump when you pumped the primer ball?

After replacing all the fuel lines and fuel filters it seems to be working properly again. I believe it was a clogged fuel filter that caused the issue.

Good, glad you got it straight.