Ted G.
Ted G., Rigger, Diagnostician
Experience:  40 years boating, Safe boating instruct., Offshore Race promoter, Failure Analysis, Expert Witness
7183013

Second opinion] Have 1979 formula have to pull 454 Port

Second opinion] Have 1979 formula have to pull 454 Port engine got water in the cylinders due to bad riser. Do I pull the sterndrive or notJA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.Customer: Oil pressure on this engine best 40psi so I think its time to rebuild. Never had TRS before always OMCJA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?Customer: I have room to pull engine forward 8 inches and I hate Black paint on engines

Hi, it is not necessary to pull the drive in order to remove the engine. If you have that much clearance you can remove the engine and trans together or disconnect the engine from the trans. I will say though that if you are removing the engine it is always a good idea to remove the drive and use an alignment tool to check the alignment of the engine and trans when the engine is replaced. And it is a good time to lube the ujoints and inspect all the transom parts. TRS drives are easy because there are no shift components, but they are heavy so have help or a lifting device.