Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Trying to replace ignition coil of a 2005 F15ELHD part #

Customer Question
Hi , trying to...

Hi , trying to replace ignition coil of a 2005 F15ELHD part # 6M-00528 and can't get a complete match online. Any suggestions,is part # 66m-85570 compatible ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Trolling along fine , motor shuts off , takes 20 minutes to get going again so have to use 115 HP for a while when salmon fishing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Don't think so , was directed to the coil but could be as simple as fuel filter and spark plugs. Oh yeah , do you need a special tool to remove bottom spark plug as standard 3/4 inch can't get in there ?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Boat
9/20/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Where are you getting these part numbers from, are you looking them up yourself?

No , no calls , thanks , I'm already feeling like a sucker , sorry , but that is the truth .
If you call me , is there any other charges over the $35 ?

Got it. The reason I ask is because the correct part number for your engine is 66M-85570-00-00​. Click this link, this is your engine based on the model number you gave me. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/2005/F15ELHD/ELECTRICAL%201/parts.htmlThe ignition coil is #4. Does that all make sense. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

do you think the ignition coil is the problem or should I start with fuel filter or spark plugs or something else. I am at best a youtube mechanic , so no real knowledge ?

Did you test the ignition coil to see if it was good or bad? I'm not sure if all of your question came through or not, all I see is "Hi , trying to replace ignition coil of a 2005 F15ELHD part # 6M-00528 and can't get a complete match online. Any suggestions,is part # 66m-85570 compatible ?​"

I don't mind giving you a call but I do want to make sure you are aware of the charges. You paid 35 and that covers a web based chat only. Justanswer does charge an additional 26 USD to switch to phone. Did you want to do the phone call or did you want to stay online?

Wow, no phone calls then please, my wife is going to kill me . I asked if ignition coil sounds like the problem or could it be as simple as fuel filter or spark plugs. How come I can't get a standard 3/4 spark plug removal tool in to lower slot to look at the plug , very tight , bad design or is it a metric tool ?
How do I check if the ignition coil is the problem ? Continuity through the spark plug wires ? Do the end of the spark plug wires that attach to the plugs just screw off ? Nothing in that part you gave link to in boats.net

What is the problem exactly, does the engine not have any spark?

Are you still here?

I wrote earlier but here it is . I start the engine for trolling for salmon , seems to work no problem early in day and lasts for sometimes an hour then sometimes 20 minutes or 5 minutes, Won't start again right away , usually needs 20 minutes or more before it will restart and work. It always works for less time the second and third time of the day before it shuts off. Seems to be plenty of gas from the ball. Could it be thermostat , fuel filter or actual plugs . Extra fuel costs by trolling with a 2 stroke 115 HP make this repair necessary and that's why I'm on this site.

Okay got all that. When the engine did not start, did you actually check and see if there was spark output or not?

No , I don't know how to do that and wouldn't try that on the lake anyway. I think if you loosen the spark plug wire with a special tool while it runs on a water muffler I should be able to see the spark arc ?Correct ?

I think if you loosen the spark plug wire with a special tool while it runs on a water muffler I should be able to see the spark arc ?Correct ?

​No, that wouldn't be the correct way to do it. The correct way to do it is to hook up a timing light to each plug wire, crank the engine over, and see if the light flashes or not. If the timing light flashes, there is spark. If it does not flash, there is no spark.

I asked this earlier and no response, just trying to get an opinion ,I asked if ignition coil sounds like the problem or could it be as simple as fuel filter or spark plugs. How come I can't get a standard 3/4 spark plug removal tool in to lower slot to look at the plug , very tight , bad design or is it a metric tool ?
hello,still there ?

I asked if ignition coil sounds like the problem or could it be as simple as fuel filter or spark plugs.

​The engine needs 3 things to run. Compression, timed spark ignition, and fuel. Compression won't disappear and then come back, so you can cross that off the list. So now you are down to either no spark or no fuel. If you brought it to the shop we would first duplicate the problem, then once the engine will not start we would check and see if the engine had spark output with the timing light. This is a pass or fail test, and it either will or will not have spark. If it does have spark, then you have a fuel or carburetion issue. If there is no spark, then all of the ignition components would need to be tested in order to see why the engine does not have any spark. There are 5 components to the ignition system. There is a stator, a trigger, a CDI box, the igniton coil and finially the stop circuit. Any one of those parts can be bad.

How come I can't get a standard 3/4 spark plug removal tool in to lower slot to look at the plug , very tight , bad design or is it a metric tool ?

I am not there to look at your engine, and I dont' exactly have one sitting in front of me. Are you not able to get the socket on the plug at all?

No , top plug removal is easy , can't seat the second plug. Will borrow some professional tools.I will check spark on coil wires , I think I have an usused kit somewhere. So fuel filter or just the plugs could be it if there is spark from the coils >

So fuel filter or just the plugs could be it if there is spark from the coils

I do not understand what you mean. Can you rephrase that for me?

Could a bad fuel filter or bad spark plugs be causing the engine to quit while trolling ?
Again, could it be the thermostat shutting things down ?

The plugs could cause it if they are fouled out. But the filter would not cause it.

​No, a thermostat would not cause the engine to shut down.

Phone call session started
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic