Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Merc 50 hp bigfoot quit on my wife with alarm going off.

Customer Question
Merc 50 hp bigfoot...

Merc 50 hp bigfoot quit on my wife with alarm going off. will not start now. is there a reset for the alarm which could prevent it from starting?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Fuel is ok. it cranks over well . It is a 4 stroke, 2006.I have changed the fuel filter which was a little dirty. I have also flushed the line going to the electric pump right through the mechanical pump.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Not that I can think of now.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Boat
9/19/2017
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

When the engine died, was the alarm a solid tone or a beeping one with pauses in between?

Would you please post the serial number of the engine?

It was beeping as an overheating alarm. Serial Number - 1B169742.

The beeping alarm is for a sensor out of range. A solid tone is for overheat. Is she sure that it was a beeping alarm?

It would be easier if you called me.(###) ###-####.
Have replaced fuel filter and verified clean fuel past the mechanical pump. Cranks over but will not start. It was a beeping alarm.
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 10 months ago

Would you still like the phone call?

I have not received a call back regarding this issue but would like to receive a response this morning of September 21.
Thank you.

I replied to you at 5 PM yesterday, asking if you still wanted the call. Due to my current condition, I mainly work more toward the eve, when my condition seems to be more manageable.

With that alarm beeping, have you tested the voltage on the batteries, or have you had to charge them since the boat came back in?

Cancel call.

Ok, have you tested the batteries at all yet?

Cancel..... took it to a marina and they fixed it.

Ok, Ill process it to the right people.